Author Topic: Massachusetts Marriage Indexes  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Massachusetts Marriage Indexes
« on: Tuesday 11 July 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Can anybody Help?

I am having difficulties with the Massachusets marriage indexes on a well known subscription website.

I have been told that a Walter Adley married a Mary Molloy in Boston. The 1940 US Federal Census confirms that Walter Adley was in Boston and his wife's forename was Mary.

When I look in the Massachusetts Marrage index for Walter Audley and Mary Molloy I get the following:

Adley Walter F   Boston      1938    Vol 10 Page 60
Molloy Mary E   Boston      1938   Vol 19 Page 123

Surely if the above two people married should not the Volume and page numbers be the same? But read on !!

Looking for the grave of Walter F Adley I find that he was born in 1917 and died on 3rd June 2007 at  Fox Hill Cemetery Billerica, Massachusetts and is described as the husband of the late Catherine E (Emmert) Adley.

So he had a second wife. Searching the Massachusetts Marriage index again  I get:

Adley Mary G (Molloy)   Boston    1952   vol 9 page 518
Adley Walter F      Boston      1952    vol 14 page 559
Adley Walter F      Everett      1952    vol 40 page407

I presume the first entry above is his first wife  remarrying; but why are there two entries for Walter F Adley is this two different people with the same name getting married at two different places or is it one person called Walter F Adley getting married and his marriage is recorded in two different places?

Also why cannot I find in the indexes a marriage for a Catherine E Emmert?

Can any one help in explaining the above information from the Massachusetts marriage indexes

Thanks in anticipation of your help

Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Massachusetts Marriage Indexes
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 19:25 BST (UK) »
I can't explain the marriage indexes, but I found a snippet of an obituary for one of the sons of Walter F Adley Sr and Mary (Molloy) Manfra.  In 1990, his parents were still alive as well as his stepmother Catherine (Emmert) Adley.

I found the "snippet" trying an internet search with:
"walter f adley" "south boston"

Update:  Catherine passed away in 1992
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 20:10 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Walter and Catherine did not marry in Massachusetts, or, could this have been a second marriage for her (so, she may not have been listed as Catherine Emmert)?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 20:13 BST (UK) »
I found her previous marriage.  I don't like to include "recent" mid-1900's and later information, so I will send it by pm.   ;)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
...but why are there two entries for Walter F Adley is this two different people with the same name getting married at two different places or is it one person called Walter F Adley getting married and his marriage is recorded in two different places?...
Looking on the internet a bit, but not yet finding any real statement...
It is possible that one record was for the town in which they were married, and possibly the other record was sent to the "Secretary of the Commonwealth" (Boston?).

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa in California,
Thanks for your replies. I will check a few things out based on what you have said in your replies and get back to you.
I will await your p m

Regards
The Wirral Way

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 21:32 BST (UK) »
I sent it at "20:17"; I just copied the original message and sent it again.  Hopefully, you will receive it this time.   ;)

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa in California,

Having re read your messages and thought about them I would make the following observations:

In your first reply you refer to the obituary of one of the sons of Walter F Adley and Mary (Molloy) Manfra. It would seem that Joseph R Manfra was the second Husband of  Mary Adley (Molloy) as the Massachusetts Marriage indexes have
Adley Mary G (Molloy)            1952        Volume 9 page 518
Manfra Joseph R                   1952        Volume 9 page 518
and that is what I would have expected both partmers of the marriage having the same volume and page number in the index.

I suspect that Walter and Catherine did marry in Massachusetts as I have two references to a Walter F Adley marrying in 1952 in Massachusetts. I hope your private message will give me her surname so that I can find it in the indexes.

With regards to the two marriage places for Walter F Adley in 1952 Everett is a separate city only 4 miles north Boston. I was wondering if Walter was living in Boston and Catherine in Everett and as a result their marriage was recorded in both places.

Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa in California,

I have received your pm (both copies)

Regards
The Wirral Way