Author Topic: Royal Scottish National Hospital - larbet  (Read 1895 times)

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Royal Scottish National Hospital - larbet
« on: Tuesday 11 July 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
I've a relative (now deceased) who spent all of his life in the RSNH from the the age of 10.
I've contacted the archivist but as he entered just after the 100 year record bar, couldn't tell me anything.

I'd like to understand the layout/lifestyle at the hospital, from 1922-1987.
In his letters he gives his address (at different times) as the colony, and new block, and c/o matron. Do these different addresses/buildings give clues to what was happening for him? I'm wondering if c/o matron meant his mail was being monitored for some reason?
I understand there were buildings known as iona etc also. Does his not being there rule out some things?

Although I can find lots of generic pictures etc dates and names of those listed are often missing.
I'm finding a mixture of professionals saying what a wonderful place it was, and families of residents describing it as a hell on earth.

Hope someone can help, possibly a local who worked there or had family in the hospital?
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.
Many Naval ancestors and connections to Canada & American.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Scottish National Hospital - larbet
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
"The Royal Scottish National Hospital; 140 years" by Guthrie Hutton.

Have you checked out this paperback?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 22:00 BST (UK) »
There is this old post here on RC www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=571310.0

A possible explanation on the name 'the colony' perhaps?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
According to the local newspaper the "Colony" came from  a desire to create an "Industrial Colony" where 300 people could work on the land and in other occupations which was achieved by the purchase of Larbert House and its grounds in 1925

http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/news/larbert-s-pioneering-hospital-funded-by-our-pennies-1-3036759

The short article is accompanied by a photograph showing the some staff and residents on the playing fields

I think the movement within the different units led to the multiple addresses used - as to the c/o matron, I don't believe  that this was a sign that the mail was being monitored it wouldn't have mattered what was on the front, if staff were monitoring mail. I suspect that this may simply indicate that the family had lost touch or were unsure of your relatives exact whereabouts.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 10:23 BST (UK) »

Although I can find lots of generic pictures etc dates and names of those listed are often missing.
I'm finding a mixture of professionals saying what a wonderful place it was, and families of residents describing it as a hell on earth.

Hope someone can help, possibly a local who worked there or had family in the hospital?

To really understand the hospital and its environment I believe that you really need to try and understand what came before it and the changes that were introduced by places like the RSNH. Some might still seem cruel or even barbaric by standards today but in their time they were seen as the cutting edge of enlightened treatment - hence the glowing reports from professionals.
Visiting family members may have seen "hell on earth" because of a general lack of privacy and the noise and actions of a large number of individuals with similar problems and often no inhibitions as to their behavior could lead to quite a dramatic time.
My mother was a nurse in an establishment which was quite similar and I agreed one year to go along and take photographs at a Xmas party - to me it was pretty close to traumatic but to my mother it was a "quiet" day - different experiences from the same event.