Author Topic: TEAT TAIT BAIN SUTHERLAND FORD FOORD Watten and Fife  (Read 4862 times)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TEAT TAIT BAIN SUTHERLAND FORD FOORD Watten and Fife
« on: Wednesday 12 July 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about my next step.
It seems William TEAT married Margaret BAIN 1727 in Watten. I have found children for him: Jannet, John & Margaret. I am not sure their mother was Margaret, as only the father is given in their baptisms.
Several WorldConnect trees mention the children, with one not mentioning John or Margaret (senior or junior) but adding a Peter-Patrick, an Archibald and an Elizabeth. I haven't been able to find births/ baptisms for any of those three with a William TEAT as father.
None of those WorldConnect trees mention Margaret Bain. Instead they have William's wife as Elspet (or other variations) Sutherland. I have found the marriage of a William TEAT and an Elespet SUTHERLAND in 1721 in Watten.
William and Elespet were probably born in Fife. I've found a possible birth/ baptism for him, with William TEAT and Bessie FOORD as parents, and a marriage for those parents as William TAIT and Bessie FORD.
I haven't been able to find the deaths or burials of William, Margaret or Elespet (did she die before his marriage to Margaret?), or any other TEAT or TAIT people that seem to fit. Subsequent generations of TEATS are mainly spelled TAIT.
Would anyone please have any suggestions.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: TEAT TAIT BAIN SUTHERLAND FORD FOORD Watten and Fife
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 17 03:29 BST (UK) »
It seems William TEAT married Margaret BAIN 1727 in Watten. I have found children for him: Jannet, John & Margaret. I am not sure their mother was Margaret, as only the father is given in their baptisms.

Hi searchr,

I'm sorry I don't understand your 'next step' fully?

Do you mean you would like to prove that Margaret was the mother of the above named children or do you mean the next step back (up the ladder)?

Do you have the original baptisms for the children, where/when & who were the Sponsors?
This may hold some clues?

You say the baptisms don't name the mother i.e. do the dates fit with the marriage in 1727 & what leads you to think Margaret is the mother?

Do you have the marriages of any of the children, when/where & who were the witnesses?

Do you know when/where William died & his occupation?
Have you found a MI, Will or anything else regarding William?

Can you list all the children in order please from eldest down to youngest with dates from both marriages?

Do any of all those children (from both marriages) have the mother's name & do any give Williams occupation?

Who were the witnesses on both marriages, were any the same names on both, were they in the same area in Watten?

Sorry for all the questions but I really think it will be hard to crack without some of those details?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 July 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
A Watten Bain invented the electric clock, there's a plaque there to him.  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 July 17 06:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for replying.
The clock & fax Alexander Bain (1810 - 1877) was amazing! I found a ton of things about him, but don't know his ancestry beyond his having a father John from Watten & mother Isabella Waiter (Walter?) from Halkirk, with John's father probably an Alexander from Leanmore. That was from http://www.whittlespublishing.com/userfiles/shop/200/The%20Caithness%20Influence.pdf
I love all the questions:
Do you mean you would like to prove that Margaret was the mother of the above named children or do you mean the next step back (up the ladder)?
Either is fine. I don’t mind whether or not it was Margaret or Elespet who was their mother. I’d just like to know who was the mother: get it right. I’d also like to get to the next step back, so I can explore my ancestors as far back as I can. There are several Bains closer in the tree too, but it seems to have been a fairly common Caithness name.

Do you have the original baptisms for the children, where/when & who were the Sponsors?
This may hold some clues?
I have the old parish record baptism for John. It was 12 Apr 1730 Northdun, with witnesses John Miller? & Andrew Petrie.

You say the baptisms don't name the mother i.e. do the dates fit with the marriage in 1727 & what leads you to think Margaret is the mother?
The only birth/ baptism dates I’ve seen start from 1727, when William & Margaret married. I haven’t seen any between 1721 & 1727.

Do you have the marriages of any of the children, when/where & who were the witnesses?
John Teat m Elizabeth Young 1754 Watten, with no witnesses recorded, with John from Wester Watten & Elizabeth there? in the old parish registers.

Do you know when/where William died & his occupation?
no

Have you found a MI, Will or anything else regarding William?
No. I haven’t seen anything that jumped out in the Caithness memorial book, FindMyPast, SP or http://www.oddquine.co.uk/gravestones/

Can you list all the children in order please from eldest down to youngest with dates from both marriages?
I’m only fairly sure of Jannet 1727, Margaret 1728 John 1730 (Northdun as above), all in Watten with William Teat as father. Archibald is b/ bp 1730 according to http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=elizabeth365_1&id=I23723 It also has Jannet 1727 & Peter/ Patrick & Elizabeth with no b/ bp date. From SP search, there are 2 Archibald b/ bp in old parish registers with parents William Tait & Margaret Bain in Watten, but they are 1780 & 1788.

Do any of all those children (from both marriages) have the mother's name & do any give Williams occupation?
Margaret has the possible mother’s name (Margaret Bain).

Who were the witnesses on both marriages, were any the same names on both, were they in the same area in Watten?
I have both of them from the old parish registers, but neither gives any witnesses. The first has William being from Bannaskirk & Elizabeth from Strath of Watten. The second has William from Northdun & Margaret from Brabster Dorren.

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
William Tait married at Watten to Margaret Bain 11 March 1780 not 1727, their first child was Archibald 27 November 1780, at Watten, calling a first son Archibald suggests Williams parents are Archibald Tait and Helen Fairweather, this couple married a Watten  1 January 1760, all William and Margaret's children born Watten other than Helen born Wick 1790, all this can be found on SP and freereg, Nikitah

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
have to go but will check this out further later
I think I've seen that marriage before, but the one I'm talking about is another in 1727. I have the register from SP.

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 October 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry, yes you are right, the marriage didn't come up with TAIT and variants on SP but does with Teat and Margaret Bain, Nikitah

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 October 17 13:57 BST (UK) »
How about contacting the Wick Heritage Centre for info'?

http://wickheritage.org/

Skoosh.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 October 17 01:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks all
will keep investigating
like the idea of the Wick Heritage Centre
bit hectic today