Author Topic: TEAT TAIT BAIN SUTHERLAND FORD FOORD Watten and Fife  (Read 4863 times)

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TEAT TAIT BAIN SUTHERLAND FORD FOORD Watten and Fife
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 October 17 19:27 BST (UK) »
you know when you wished you'd never started something ;D Looks like my Tait's maybe of the same tree as yours searchr, mine are John Tait and Margaret Murray, thought John's father was also John and his mother Elspeth Young, so decided to make sure and get his death certificate, no his father was George his mother Esther Murray, John born Watten was , back to the drawing board, Nikitah

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
Wow Nikita!
almost
Is that the John Tait that I had as b Watten 1760?
I had him as the possible brother of my Jannet Tait b abt 1774 who m David Small.
I don't have very many certificates, but I do have my Jannet's d cert 1857 at 83y and it does have her as the daughter of John Tait and Elspate Young. Maybe my Jannet and your John were cousins rather than brother and sister and your George who m Esther Murray and my John Tait who m Elspate Young were brothers? It's worth a little more investigating.
Worldconnect scotstar database has a John Tait b much later with parents George Tait and Esther Murray, with John and Margaret marrying in 1810.
I just keep going and going and finding out more and more. One gate closes and another opens. It's very very addictive!

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 October 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
Searchr, it's just getting more and more confusing ::) my confusion started with my John Tait in 1841 he is 5years older than Margaret Murray, they married in 1810, by the time everyone told the truth there was about 17 years between them meaning  Margaret was just over 15 years of age and John was turned 30. now I know John was born c 1778 the son of George Tait and Esther Murray, Margaret was born 1795 to Donald Murray and Jean Davidson, this John, I believe was the John Tait mentioned in " Ministers and Men", he says he is a master tailor in 1841  later he is a farmer, his son George takes over the tailoring then moves to Thurso, only problem there is although George is in the 1841 census with his parents age 20 apprentice tailor, I can't find a birth for him, Nikitah.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 October 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
Halkirk claimed to be the "Model!" parish, Watteners replied that theirs was the "Modest!" parish.  ;D

Used to fish there!

Skoosh.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 October 17 10:23 BST (UK) »
like it Skoosh!
Sorry to spell your name wrongly Nikitah.
My head is spinning with all this. I'll be able to try again properly in a day or 2 or 3.

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 October 17 18:13 BST (UK) »
Ah, but Skoosh, can you beat the baths full of salmon from Dunbeath Water? ;D no problem with the name searchr, Nikitah.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 October 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
Nikita, some elderly Lybster fisherman tried a net from their boat near the mouth of the Dunbeath Water, not strictly legal!  ;D    They caught a Great White Shark & had a photo to prove it. This was a good few years ago but due to the circumstances little was said & there are no Great White Sharks there anyhow?  The net was immediately cut as the boat was right over.

Skoosh.

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 October 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Skoosh, I've heard quite a few tales like that, none legal, we can laugh now  no one left to prosecute, not many fishing boats going out of Dunbeath now either I think Dunbeath had the best fed dogs for miles around and the gamekeepers needed to go to specksavers ;D Nikitah

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 October 17 22:21 BST (UK) »