Author Topic: Teresa O'CONNOR - Lookup request for birth  (Read 2707 times)

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Teresa O'CONNOR - Lookup request for birth
« on: Thursday 13 July 17 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I'm researching my Great-Great-Grandmother Teresa O'Connor at the moment. She would have been born around the year 1866 from her age at death in 1954 in Glasgow. I know her parents were called James O'Connor and Jane Kelly from her marriage and death certificates. The 1901 census, with her husband Owen Gallagher, lists her as having been born in Glasgow. But I cannot find a birth record for her in Glasgow. This is becoming quite confusing.

Any ideas? Maybe I've overlooked her record due to different spelling.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Teresa O'CONNOR - Lookup request for birth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
Tony, there is an 1881 census entry that reads:

Theresa O'Connor, 15, General Domestic b. (Supposed), Glasgow. This entry is at 20 Wilton St, in Kelvin at the McCaffrey household.

Not seeing an obvious birth for her so far...

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 July 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
The 1901 shows her as aged 30 - birthyear 1871.  She could be 36 and been transcribed as 30

Have you checked the 1911 for her to make sure birthplace is still Glasgow?  Owen Gallagher was born Ireland
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 July 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Thanks for info. Not sure if I should interpret "Jane O'Connor" born 1867 in Anderston as the same person? Her mother was Jane Kelly after all.

1881 census sounds interesting.

I have never found an entry for 1911. But this may be because they moved to Fleetwood in England briefly. I couldn't tell you precisely when unfortunately.

Thanks,

Tony

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 July 17 23:22 BST (UK) »
I was also thinking. Surely Jane Kelly and James O'Connor - her parents - should be on 1871 and 1881 censuses? I've never been able to find them easily.

Maybe not looking hard enough!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 July 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
From that 1881 entry, there is a likely entry for the same Teresa in 1891 possibly although some details differ:

Theresa O'Connor, 20, General Domestic b Kilbowie [sic], Ayrshire. She looks to still be living with the McCaffreys, at a different property 839 New City Rd, Kelvin.

What was her address and occupation when she married in 1893?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 July 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
The 1901 for Glasgow shows all 3 children as born England but the only trace of a registration is daughter Jane born Fylde 1896

No Gallagher/O'Connor births 1901-1911 using GRO online
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 July 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Many thanks for adding detail there. I was just reading the Marriage Certificate and it seems she was still indeed living at 839 New City Road. Further, Thomas McCaffrey was a witness, so she must have gotten along well with the McCaffreys. Another witness was Jane (Cairns?). This would possibly be a relative. Both Teresa's parents were dead by 1893. Jane Kelly died in 1880 and James O'Connor between 1880-1893. I could only find a death record in 1890 at Stockwell Street (Prison) but it has no useful information to confirm whether it was him. On the Marriage at 1893 it also says James O'Connor was an Iron Moulder.

Cheers,

Tony

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 July 17 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Those births are because the Gallaghers moved to Fleetwood, Lancashire after 1893 marriage in Glasgow. They then came back to Glasgow. Jane was born 15 Feb 1896 in Fleetwood. Eugene in June 1897 and Hugh was born in Glasgow, in 1899, not England.

I'm more interested in Teresa O'Connor's origins at the moment. I've tackled Eugene Gallagher's. The 1881 and 1891 censuses both seem accurate. So I'm wondering what happened. Her mother Jane died 1880. James disappears, but he's not with her in 1881 during census. Was the Jane on 1893 marriage a sister perhaps? No info on O'Connor family, despite censuses all saying she was born in Glasgow.