Author Topic: James Leslie Blacksmith Alvie Inverness & sons John b~1775 Simon b~1772 Donald  (Read 3148 times)

Offline aldessam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am after anyone with information on James Leslie (Blacksmith born around 1750' 1760's  )   and his sons John Leslie (Carter born Alvie Invnerness and died Morayshire).  Also after Simon Leslie (Blacksmith born Alvie Inverness and died Alvie Inverness ) and possibly a Donald Leslie (Blacksmith born in Inverness) all born about the same time and all apparently born in Alvie (Donald's 1841 census data just says Inverness)   All born roughly between 1772 and 1782 ish give or take.

I can trace my husbands direct line to James Leslie in Alvie with documented evidence
I can link Simon and James as brothers:
1.    James' grandson Donald Leslie (b 1854 and a Blacksmith as was his father Donald Leslie )  was listed as being Isabella Leslie's cousin in the 1891 census where he was residing at Baldow Alvie. 
2.   Isabella Leslie's death cert states that her parents are Simon Leslie and Janet McIntosh.  Donald is listed as a friend on the death cert who witness her death. 
3.  Isabella's Will states Donald (b1854) living at Baldow as her executor and beneficiary to her estate.  She also lists her sister Ann Brown her husband Jospeh at Grant Castle and their daughter.
4.  Simon Leslie's death cert states parents as James Leslie (blacksmith) and Ann Fraser.
5.  Census data states Simon born in Alvie Inverness   
6.  John Leslie's death cert states parents as James Leslie (blacksmith) and Mary Fraser and census data states John born in Alvie Inverness   

Looking further into census data I have come across a Donald Leslie in the 1841 census but I cannot find him again after this date. 

Name:    Donald Leslie
Estimated birth year:    abt 1781
Where born:    Inverness, Scotland
Civil Parish:    Moy and Dalarossie
County:    Inverness
Address:    Moymore
Parish Number:    105
Household Members:    
Name    Age
Donald Leslie    60
Isabella Leslie    35
Jane Leslie    30
Amy Leslie    25
Ann Gade    4

I have come across Jane Leslie as living at MoyMore in the 1851 census but at this stage have not been able to find the others. 
I have tried to come up with some info at Scotlands People but I am getting frustrated with the new website. Data doesn't always seem to come up even when info is entered correctly and I have to go and fish around and play with the search features to get a result or it comes up in a search one minute and gone the next.   

I would be grateful for any information as to James and Simon's parents and also to try and figure out if Donald is related somewhere.   
Thanks for your time in reading this very long post.  :)   

Cheers, Desiree

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Leslie Blacksmith Alvie Inverness & sons John b~1775 Simon b~1772 Donald
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 17 05:27 BST (UK) »
I have a limited number of pages from the Alvie parish register; don't know if this helps or makes it more confusing:

Donald Leslie and Janet Cameron, living at Kinrara
  dau Jean born 7 Oct 1792
  dau Grace born 16 Aug 1794
  dau Ann born 4 Aug 1796

Leslie is an uncommon name in Macpherson territory.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Leslie Blacksmith Alvie Inverness & sons John b~1775 Simon b~1772 Donald
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
Still Leslie's in Badenoch, former blacksmiths &  now agricultural engineers, I think own a caravan site at the Smiddy, Newtonmore.

Skoosh.

Offline aldessam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Larkspur3
Thanks for the information - I think that it has just confused me even more and lots more research is now required.  I might just have to have a deeper search into Scotlands People.  :)   

What is even more confusing and a little bizarre is that I recently became in touch in my husbands aunt in Scotland who he had never met before and had no real information on (long story about broken families) and she was saying there was an article recently in the Stathspey Herald regarding Sue McKinnon whose- 4* great grandmother Janet MacKitnosh moved to Australia and Janets grandson purchased land in Australia and named in Kinrara.  Given that my husbands great grandfather Donald Leslie married a Jane McIntosh, we were going to see if there was a connection.  My husband is the only Leslie from his direct line living in Australia and until recently where we connected Simon Leslie and John Leslie as brothers there appeared to be no other connections to the Alvie Leslie's in Australia. 

I have tried connecting my Leslie line to the Leslie line to the two Leslie brothers who were invited into Badenoch by Cluny MacPherson, but haven't progressed far.   

As for the Leslie's being uncommon in Badenoch, I think you may be right as I am finding it difficult to find any further info.  The question that still remains unaswered is why and when did my Leslie family line move to Badenoch.  Ahhh, family history research, the further you dig, the more unanswered questions you get and the more sidetracked you get.  I spent a night researching a Dr Walter De Wattiville who was living in Kingussie as it appears my husbands Great Uncle was named after him (Walter De Wattiville Leslie who eventually moved to NZ).  Interesting reading on the work that Dr DeWattiville accomplished in regards to his works trying to cure TB

Hi Skoosh,
Yes, there are still Leslie's in Badenoch and some are related up the line and down another branch.  My husbands great grandather Donald Leslie was the blacksmith in Baldow and then Torcroy.  My husbands aunt currently resides around Aviemore way I believe.  One day we will get to Scotland.

Thank you both for your replies, it is greatly appreciated.  Thanks again.  :)     

Offline aussiescottie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 21 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Just joined RootsChat and saw your post. We have active Leslie (Alvie) Clan in Australia. Brothers Donald, Robert and John from Alvie settled in South Australia in 1840s and nephew Simon Turnbull in 1864. Donald, Robert and John were kids of Simon Leslie (b 1782) and Isabel Grant.

Simon's parents were James Leslie (b mid 1700s) and Ann Fraser who had many children and not all known to us, but we know Simon was one of those kids.

Donald, Robert and John who came to Australia had a sister Janet who married George Turnbull and their son Simon Turnbull came to join his uncles in 1864.

Simon ( 1782) had first child James with Sophia McIntosh 14. 12. 1806 at Kingussie (102-2) He then married Isabel Grant 12 March 1807 at Kingussie (refer Parish register Kingussie 102-21). 2nd wife was Janet McIntosh m 14. 12. 1826.

:) Beverley

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 21 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Cluny MacPherson, an English High Court judge, has just died at his home in Blairgowrie. Celebrated for combatting corruption in the Metropolitan Police Force he has had favourable obituaries in the press.

Skoosh.

Offline aldessam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Beverly,
I have been in contact previously with Anne from the Leslie Alvie clan in Australia.  It was through Anne and her books that we managed to make assumptions that your Simon and my John were brothers  (or half brothers????)  I did make a mistake in the original post and put James instead of John.  Too many ancestors with the same names.

My husband recently completed a DNA test and it seems there is a very small dna link (10cm on 1 segment) to John West, descendant of Janet Leslie and George Turnball so there may just be a link between John Leslie and Simon Leslie after all. 

Hi Skoosh
thanks for the heads up. I will have a scout around on google to see what comes up. 

Cheers, Desiree

Offline Cluny

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm not sure if the original poster, Desiree, will be able to see this, but I think I can fill in some blanks for you, regarding the Leslie family.

Best wishes,

Cluny