Author Topic: Mary Ann King (bStanley) of Dorset and Jersey  (Read 1757 times)

Offline downunder milt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann King (bStanley) of Dorset and Jersey
« on: Sunday 16 July 17 02:46 BST (UK) »
Records show Mary Ann Stanley was bpt at Holy Trinity,Dorchester 11-2-1857 and her parents listed as William(deceased) and Catherine.
St George,Fordington burial index lists a William Styanley (assume a typo error) died /buried 3/7/1856 age 29so I presume this could be Mary Ann's father.
Marriage banns 24-11-1851 for Christchurch,W Fordington detail William Napoleon Stanley a bachelor a chimney sweep resident at Fordington married to Catherine CREATE a 19 a spinster a labourer resident of Fordington father unknown.

Mary Ann Stanley and Charles Phelp King later raised a family and lived in St Heliers,Jersey although I have not been able to locate marriage records for this couple in Dorset or Channel Islands.
The 1891 census of St Heliers lists Mary Ann King a 35 b England Unmarried,wives own means,her 6 children and Catherine LUEN a 60 mother, widow.
Similarly, 1911 census for Jersey lists Mary Ann King a 56 b Dorchester with 2 older daughters and Catherine Lurn (again presume typo) a 74 mother. I have taken Catherine as mother of Mary Ann.

So from all this I am trying to get specific records for :-
              1  Mary Ann Stanley & Charles Phelp King marriage
               2 the 2 Catherine's (Create and Luen/Lurn ) are they the same and can anyone help with Catherine Create profile.

Thanks
Milt       

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann King (bStanley) of Dorset and Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 17 05:11 BST (UK) »
Think you may find this helpful if you follow it up.

Mary Ann Stanley married Charles King between 1871-1875. ST MALO, France.

GRO Consular Marriages (1849-1965).  5 /522  British Nationals Married Overseas 1818-2005

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 July 17 05:59 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 Jersey census Mary Ann King is still married. Looks like she was married in 1875/76.

Catherine Lurn is Mary Ann's mother born in Dublin. c1763.

Charles Phelp King is probably Charles Philip King. born 1856, St Helier, Jersey.  father Charles James b 1826. St Saviour, Jersey.  mother Louisa b 1830. St Helier, Jersey.

Looks like Charles was a ships captain which would explain why he was'nt with Mary Ann on the census.

Charles King, Master, Married, born 1856 Jersey Channel Island. Vessel Bying Mossed in Jersey Harbour, St Helier.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 17 06:00 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Catherine is  Catherine Corate(Crate) age 18 b Dublin in 1851 - a prisoner in Dorchester

Kay

Edit - The GRO birth index lists both Mary Ann Stanley and sister Sarah (1853) with mother's maiden name Crate

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 July 17 06:26 BST (UK) »
In 1851 the Dorchester Prison Register lists a Catherine Crate age  18 with Mary Ann Crate 14 and William Stanley 24 all sent to prison for stealing flowers from a garden

Possible for Catherine in 1841 -living in Fordington, Dorset in 1841
John Crate    35  Labourer b Dorset
Margaret Crate    35 b Ireland
Michael Crate    11 b Ireland
Katherine Crate    8 b Ireland
Mary Ann Crate    5 b Ireland
John Crate 2 b Dorset

Also Anc has a marriage of a Catherine Stanley  to Thomas James Luen on 20 Aug 1857 at St Saviour, Jersey.    Catherine is listed as a widow age 21 with father John Crate

The GRO index as the death of a John Crate age 35 in 1843 Dorcester    (Although the Fordington  Parish Records list his age as 38)

Offline downunder milt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the delay in response but I have not had access to my computer for 2 days.

Thank you sincerely Solidrock and Kay for all the info.You answered all my queries and gave additional interesting facts re Crate family eg prison records that I would never have known existed and to the census listing for the family.My failure to find the King /Stanley marriage in Dorset or Jersey nicely explained by its happening in France.
 I did know of Charles King and future descendants of his viz Gallies of Jersey involvement in the merchant navy.
Aside from my delight in receiving this I am amazed at how quick this was expedited -I posted my request in the afternoon New Zealand time(ie early am England) and had your replies within hours.Don't you sleep ?http://cdn.rootschat.com/forum/Smileys/classic/wink.gif

Again my appreciation
Milt   

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Glad it was of use :)  Usually wake up about 4.30 am our time after years of getting up early for work!!

The prison records are on Ancestry

Kay

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
re Charles Philip King.
I don't know if this is relevant to your search but there are some Merchant Navy records for a Charles King born Jersey CI in 1856.
In 1881 and probably before, he was Master of the Jersey CI registered vessel CRISTAL a Ketch of 35 tons built in Jersey in 1863. Official number 47081.
His address is given as 1 Oxford Place Bristol. ( The owner of the ship also had a Bristol address)
The crew agreements of this vessel for 1881 are held in the British Archive Pieces BT99/1307/64 and BT99/1307/66.

There is also another record, possibly for the same man in 1898.
Master of the Exeter registered HALDON official number 85958
His address is given as 12, Royal Parade Jersey CI.
Crew agreements should give you a deal of personal information, including his Masters Certificate number. If you can find his Masters certificate of service you should be able to find details of his entire sea going career.
For a number of reasons I suspect he held a Home Trade certificate.
There may be other information on Ancestry.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022