Author Topic: Carl A. Nilsson and Ida V. Andersson  (Read 29488 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carl A. Nilsson and Ida V. Andersson
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hope all is well. The pictures seen on the news don't  look fun at all.

Ian

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
It's not too bad here. Lots of trees are down.  No damage to my house, so I was fortunate.
Tippett, Nankivell, Gaveregan

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Thursday 21 September 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul.
Here we go:

"Bridgeport's Swedish colony is going to lose one of it's most prominent men this 19 July, Charles A. Björklund and wife will be leaving our town via the steamer "Drottningholm" to Sweden and intend to settle down in scenic Ambjörnarp, Västergötland. Björklund arrived here in 1881 and stayed a little while in Portland, Conn. In 1882 he settled down in our town which he made home. His mind has though been steadfast with his homeland and has visited his homeland five times. This now will be his twelth journey over the Atlantic. Björklund took the carpenter side and it wasn't too long before he had his own business. He undertook contracts for building of houses and during this time he has erected 185 buildings, some of these were quite large endeavours, such as 5 school houses, 4 fire stations, some churches and 2 large blocks in the town's business centre. Björklund was forced to quit from the business because of poor health a few years back. This picture shows the house where the Björlund's called home. It was on Park Avenue on the corner of Worth Street. He built it himself and sold it a few weeks ago. Björklund has even been active in Societies and in his hayday had been involved in organisations as The Monitor Lodge I.O.O.F., V.O. Lodge, Svea Society. He was even involved in the organisation of the Swedish Lutherian Salem Parish and served as treasurer for 15 years. He also enjoyed the same duties in the Svea Society. Björklund has even made one of the pillars in Valhalla nr. 1.
Wife Björklund was involved in parish duties until she suffered a stroke a few years back, which left her speech impaired but now is nearly restored. She has also been infected by her husband's longing to return to Sweden and to enjoy their last days there where she saw her first light of day. Björklund invited around 40 friends to a leaving party dinner last Saturday evening. A splendid "lobster dinner" was served at Norden's Club House. It was a jovial gathering. The speeches were long and many appreciations for great friendships. Mr Murberg recited one of his own poems about Björklund, but forbid it to be published. The Björklund's leave 2 children, a daughter who now is wife Borg and living in Stamford, also son Arther who together with Mautitz Swanson owns East End Coal Company. We unite us with the Björklund's many friends and wish him and his wife a pleasant journey."

Ian

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Thursday 21 September 17 01:07 BST (UK) »
Ian:  Awesome work!  Thank you so much for taking the time to translate that article into English for me. I'm going to include it in the book that I am putting together for my Björklund family.

Thanks again for all your help over the last few months.  I still have a little more research to do, but I'm getting near the end. I'll send you another reply when I get stuck or need a little help.

Paul

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Thursday 21 September 17 08:46 BST (UK) »
You're very welcome and cheers ........and just post away.

Ian

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Thursday 21 September 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian:

I just came across another article. Can you translate it? No rush at all, so whenever you have time is great. I'll post a link and a picture. Hopefully it is clear enough for you to see.

https://newspapers3.mnhs.org/jsp/viewer.jsp?doc_id=mnhi0011%2F1DFYHT5B%2F17060501&query1=&recoffset=0&collection_filter=All&collection_name=d411e839-fe68-4bb7-949b-ab2942c82cd0&sort_col=relevance&cnt=0&CurSearchNum=0&recOffset=0

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Sunday 01 October 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul
I have to admit that this was pretty difficult. The article was written in a way that I had problems finding the right words to make it legible. Anway, here it is. I hope it is ok.

"Well known Swedish entrepreneur in the east

Within the buidling industry there are, as known, Swedes as uppermost amoung all nationals in Chicago. But it isn't only in this town beside Michigan Lake that landsmen pushed forward leading the way in this area. Even in other cities in this country there are successful Swedish contractors and this article is about our landsman Charles A. Björklund in Bridgeport, Conn.
Björklund is from Västgötland from birth and born 1861 in Ambjörnarp. He emmigrated to America as a 19 year old, first worked in a quarry in Connecticut and then learnt carpentry in Bridgeport. While here he was then employed by H.H. Nettleton, one of the town's largest building contractors and house agents and soon advanced to foreman and continued there for 9 years. He became a building contractor himself 25 years ago and in doing so made a name for himself as competant with a great probity and therefore was very successful.
During his 25 year business as a building contractor and entrepreneur has Björklund erected over 200 residences in Bridgeport, 8 school buildings, 3 fire stations, 5 churches and many other larger business buildings. He has also built for the government, building military barracks, also other large buildings on Long Island, New York. By the end of last year he ceased his building business and retired to persue a peaceful retirement.
Although Björklund has had an enormous amount to do during his long standing successful business as an entrepreneur he has even had the time to devote his attention to church and association activities. He belongs to the Lutherian association in Bridgeport and has donated a large church bell and also a monetary donation to remember his birth parish Ambjörnarp in Sweden. He is also a member of the free masons, Oddfellow and the Vasa Order, also other associations. Björklund has been married for 25 years and has 2 children."

Ian

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Sunday 01 October 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Excellent job, Ian!  I really appreciate you taking the time to translate this for me. It makes perfect sense and matches up with everything else I have on Charles.

I'll let you know if I need any more help. I'm just back from a short trip to see my mother. So probably later in the week I might have a request or two.

Paul

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Sunday 01 October 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Cheers Paul.

Ian