Author Topic: Missing from the Workington 1841 Census?  (Read 4657 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing from the Workington 1841 Census?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 July 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
Ref that I have is HO107/159/9b/45/17

Think I must have misread the 9b for a 5b
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 July 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
Just had a thought that, apart from Isaiah being very badly indexed, missing from the census, at sea, etc.,  he might have been working on the night shift in the coal mine.  I recall that I couldn't find a coal mining ancestor on one of the early censuses and was told that the mine foreman was instructed to list all miners working in the colliery at midnight on census day/night and enter them. Not sure how many conformed to this or how true it was but this could explain the absence.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 July 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your time, help and info with this!  Gadget ... that's a thought - he may well have been down a mine at the time!  Nina

Offline McU

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 February 19 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I am descended from Edward, Isaiah and Benjamin through my father's mother.  He was given her maiden name as his middle name as was another brother. 

William Gilliead (b. 1845. m. Sarah Mullen c. 1870) moved to Leadgate Co Durham.  He had six children (one boy was called Isaiah) including my grandmother (Elizabeth) who, with a sister (Sarah), married my grandfather and one of his brothers.  After his wife's death, William married a widow, Ann Snowdon.

There is a professional footballer called Alex Gilliead from the north east and I sometimes wonder if he is descended from one my grandmother's brothers.

Best wishes,

John