Author Topic: Great War Exhibition at Whitley Bay Library  (Read 2577 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great War Exhibition at Whitley Bay Library
« on: Tuesday 18 July 17 09:34 BST (UK) »
A Great War Exhibition is now in display on the 2nd floor of the Whitley Bay library.  This comprises exhibits, information and some newspaper articles.  This is a very interesting and poignant exhibition  and well worth going along to see.

I am attaching a photo of one of the 'fragile' exhibits.  I asked a librarian if they knew of the history behind this item but they did not know unfortunately. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Great War Exhibition at Whitley Bay Library
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 22:50 BST (UK) »
The embroidery looks like the work done on the greetings cards sent home from France in WW1.  I've had many of those through my hands but I've not come across anything like your photo.  What size is it?

Exhibition sounds interesting.

Christine

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,

Now you mention it, the exhibit in the photo 📷 is about the size of a medium sized greetings card.  I wonder if it was originally a receptacle for storing letters sent from the front?

I am on nightshifts at the moment but when I can next get to the library I will try to find someone who may know more.  The exhibition is a small one but very interesting.   Thank you for your 👌 post. :)

Best Wishes
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 July 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
Here is another photo  of one of the exhibits.  This one is a postcard.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 July 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
Nice card - can't quite make out the writing on the photos.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,

The writing on the front of this postcard is very small.  I think I can just about make this out but I have verified this with a kind librarian rather than risk making an inadvertent mistake.  He has kindly written the writing down for me:

'A L'interior de la Basilique'

and

'Ruines de L'Eglise, Vue de face'

Best Wishes :)

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 July 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  The town of Albert was another victim of the Somme.

Also, I have received a suggestion for the purpose of the first photo.  Possibly a pouch for a powder compact?  Depends on the size, I suppose.

Christine

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 July 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine

A librarian has agreed to try and ask the person who set up the exhibition for some background in the first exhibit photo I posted - if they see this person at this person when the exhibition finishes.

Here are some more exhibit photos.

Best Wishes :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 July 17 13:18 BST (UK) »
Only one attached, so I am trying again. ;)