Author Topic: Cocayne family of Ashbourne Derbyshire  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cocayne family of Ashbourne Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 July 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
larkspur - Just did a bit of digging..........Sarah Cockaynes father's was married twice and his first marriage was to a woman called Mary, when he was married to her, they lived in Kirk Ireton, and I believe he was a Coal Miner then....this is probably where I have got confused with Ashbourne........His first wife died and he remarried Charlotte Ball from Swanwick and had his 8 children, Sarah and Charlotte the first born being twins (Sarah being my great grandmother)......... there have been so many stories told to me over the years.......But I am certain my grandmother Lucy and her siblings were bought up in Pinxton and their father Herbert was a miner.......???????

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cocayne family of Ashbourne Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 July 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
Someone was wanting info on the Cockayne's of Swanwick Derbyshire- Well my great grandmother was a Cockayne, her name was Sarah and she was a twin, her twin was called Charlotte....they were born around 1860's.......Sarah, my great grandmother married man called Herbert Barratt...... they had 7 children. ....... Lucy, Ada, Bill, Minnie, Eliza, Henry and Alfred.........my grandmother Lucy was the eldest born April 14th 1888, I think she was bought up in Pinxton, her father Herbert was a miner......Sarah had a lot of family living around the Ashbourne area in the mid 1800s ....My grandmother Lucy married Arthur Thorpe from Hucknall, they met whilst in Domestic Service in South Normanton, married May 1908 and lived near Clowne Derbyshire, then thinks Cresswell before settling in Hucknall Notts .... they had 6 children.....Dorcas, Jack, Joe, Margaret, Alan, and Grace.....They all married and had issue.....