Author Topic: Ancestry DNA....so many "matches" so few trees.  (Read 6268 times)

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA....so many "matches" so few trees.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 July 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
The other sites are similar in respect of lack of trees. I must admit I did a free upload to my heritage and have had several contacts. I onl got about 64 matches though , a few are American with English ancestors.

Offline tresario

• I have turned off all notifications to all topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 July 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
I dont understand the significance of uploading to gedmatch under an alias..its your dna..it matches who it matches..dna cant lie.

Ftdna has alot of matches when you upload your raw dna, however with all the sites, they are only good when people upload to them. I have uploaded my tree to FTDNA too, I havent put anything but the basics on My Heritage. I have also uploaded my full tree to Gedmatch. I found a single match on Dna land

I only bought a basic subscription to Ancestry, just Uk and Ireland, never thinking that that so many people in different branches of my family have emigrated. America, New Zealand,Australia, then there are the people that come from France, Germany, Italy, Greece in my DNA matches. I havent subscribed as yet to a worldwide membership, Im relying on a kind cousins log in! and the people that upload a tree to gedmatch. The good thing is in England you can use the computer at the library for free and they have Ancestry.com world membership for free Unfortunately, we cannot access alot of the sites from here in Turkey and I have to rely on people that can access freesearch for tree info too. Still, im loving the results of my DNA test and have found many long distance cousins.
Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 July 17 16:07 BST (UK) »
I dont understand the significance of uploading to gedmatch under an alias..its your dna..it matches who it matches..dna cant lie.

Absolutely! Doesn't using alias' make things additionally complicated? Surely the point of these DNA match sites is to do some of the leg work for you?
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 July 17 10:55 BST (UK) »
There are various reasons why people take DNA tests - not everyone is wanting to find new relatives !

Offline tresario

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 July 17 13:44 BST (UK) »
Then why not use a DNA agency to test and not a genealogical site that will generate matches and highlight your presence to people that might not other wise of known of you. ..there are plenty of other 'private' sites available.
Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 July 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
Then why not use a DNA agency to test and not a genealogical site that will generate matches and highlight your presence to people that might not other wise of known of you. ..there are plenty of other 'private' sites available.

Not really helpful in my opinion.

Last week we had people on here relaying the negative comments that had been posted on genealogy sites about people who do not have a publicly available tree online. Now you are telling people not to use a DNA test on a genealogical site if they do not match up to your criteria of who a worthy customer is.

What has happened, more and more people now think they "own" others DNA and family trees and can dictate what they do with them. People's DNA and family trees are their own and they can do what they want with them and others should stop trying to dictate to them in my opinion.

Genealogy use to be fun with helpful people once lets try and get back there .
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline tresario

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 July 17 17:42 BST (UK) »
Genealogy use to be fun with helpful people once lets try and get back there . ;D ;D ;D
Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline McDoo2219

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 August 17 21:32 BST (UK) »
This is all very helpful; thanks. I am also looking into "triangulating" my DNA for better, more accurate matches. https://isogg.org/wiki/Triangulation

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 August 17 21:45 BST (UK) »
Most of my American  DNA relatives ..have no trees or locked trees but have responded to my questions when I state who i  think is our link

They will unlock trees

I don't know why they don't put a minimum tree up

Good luck ..unwilling try and do the best thing too tho still haven't managed to unzip the ancestry DNA
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson