Author Topic: James Cockayne born 1816 in Nottingham moved to Swanwick- info on 1st marriage  (Read 4862 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
I did hear that James and Sarah eventually split up,  but I know she outlived him, I know she married again and was Mrs Godfrey - he must have married again to be a widower again....who knows ?

I presume you mean James & Charlotte  :)
1891 they are still together RG12 /2748 f100 p41

Charlotte died in 1893
Charlotte Cockayne
Dec qtr 1893
Age at Death 58
Reg district Belper

James died in 1899  ???
Death Sep qtr 1899 
James Cockayne age 85   
Belper    7b   419
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thankyou so much for your help.......Libralady (Lynn)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
 It was my great grandparent's Sarah and Herbert Barratt who split up, not great, great grandparents, James and Charlotte Cockayne, I got it wrong - Many thanks Rosie 99.......Libralady   

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Libralady link=topic=775518.msg6290826#msg6290826 date=150081249
[/quote
James and Charlotte stayed together, but he outlived his 2nd wife - it was my great grandparent's Herbert and Sarah who I was led to believe had split up...............

Charlotte died in 1893
Charlotte Cockayne
Dec qtr 1893
Age at Death 58
Reg district Belper

James died in 1899  ???
Death Sep qtr 1899 
James Cockayne age 85   
Belper    7b   419

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Libralady link=topic=775518.msg6290826#msg6290826 date=150081249
[/quote
James and Charlotte stayed together, but he outlived his 2nd wife - it was my great grandparent's Herbert and Sarah Barratt, nee Cockayne who I was led to believe had split up...............

Charlotte died in 1893
Charlotte Cockayne
Dec qtr 1893
Age at Death 58
Reg district Belper

James died in 1899  ???
Death Sep qtr 1899 
James Cockayne age 85   
Belper    7b   419

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
YES - I think he would have been widowed before he married Charlotte Ball in 1861, I seem to remember vaguely stories about a Mary who died, probably in childbirth and of 2 daughters who grew up with a relation and were spinsters, possibly Mary and Harriett then.........Also, I did hear stories that he married Charlotte Ball, a much younger lady from Swanwick, he outlived her as well, they went onto have 8 children, the first were twin girls Sara and Charlotte born in 1863, followed by 6 siblings  - Sarah was my great grandmother, she married Herbert Barratt from Ashbourne 1886, my grandmother Lucy was born in 1888 followed by 6 siblings.................James's father was John Cockayne who was born in Ashford under Water Near Bakewell, John Married Sarah Topps from Nottingham......They were James's parents, I know he had a sister called Rosetta as Rosetta is a family name passed down.........MANY THANKS FOLKS, INFO MUCH APPRECIATED.....Cheshiremog related a story to me, with a photo as her great grandfather was a younger brother (William) to my great grandmother, but I seem to have lost her.........

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
possibly 1841 Kirk Ireton  :-\
James Cockayne   25   
Mary   Cockayne      25   
Mary   Cockayne      3   
Harriet Cockayne   1
All born Derbyshire
HO107/Piece 198   Book 1 Folio 14 Page 22

This family is still complete with more children in 1851 & 1861 & 1871 Kirk Ireton - James born Shottle Derbyshire.
HO107/2146 f625 p4
Youngest child on 1851 (the only one I checked) has MMN Dean on birth registration

It looks as though you can discount the James Cockayne/Mary Dean marriage
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Rosie99 - I have discounted Mary Dean as I had a message from a person yesterday who was a descendant of William Cockayne, my Great Grandmother Sarah Cockayne's younger brother William, who, incidently has done the family tree, starting from a few generations before, so I now have all the info I need on the Cockayne's........ I am now concentrating on the Barratt's, the family Sarah married into, it is all getting very interesting .......
Many thanks for all your help though, very much appreciated......Libralady (Lynn).....

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
YES - I think he would have been widowed before he married Charlotte Ball in 1861, I seem to remember vaguely stories about a Mary who died, probably in childbirth and of 2 daughters who grew up with a relation and were spinsters, possibly Mary and Harriett then or maybe that was another relation.........Also, I did hear stories that he married Charlotte Ball, a much younger lady from Swanwick, he outlived her as well, they went onto have 8 children, the first were twin girls Sara and Charlotte born in 1863, followed by 6 siblings  - Sarah was my Great grandmother, she married Herbert Barratt from Farnsfield in 1886, my Grandmother Lucy was born in 1888 followed by 6 siblings.................James's father was John Cockayne who was born in Ashford under Water Near Bakewell, John Married Sarah Topps from Nottingham......They were James's parents, I know he had a sister called Rosetta who moved to the Isle of Man and Rosetta is a family name which has been passed down.........MANY THANKS FOLKS, INFO MUCH APPRECIATED.....Cheshiremog related a story to me, with a photo as her/him's Great Grandfather was a younger brother (William) to my great grandmother, but I seem to have lost her/him.........