Author Topic: 1840 Births OPR Beith Ayrshire - YOUNG  (Read 6477 times)

Offline Retsina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1840 Births OPR Beith Ayrshire - YOUNG
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 19 September 20 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi James

I have just picked up your very interesting post about your family connection to James King and thank you for sharing this information.  It’s always good to hear from a living family member who can provide first-hand information about their ancestors.  As you know, I have been researching the family line of Ann King, James King’s sister, which has proved to be quite a challenge.  However, I was very grateful to have connected with John, who has done some extensive research into the King family and he has been very helpful in providing me with some valuable facts that I’ve struggled to find.  It’s always very satisfying to be able to complete another strand of the King family, which can be very confusing as there are so many family members with the same name! 

I think we can safely say that Robert King b 1768 married Mary Whyte (White) b 1782.  I have their marriage date of 14/2/1801 in Beith.  Also, I have researched the Whyte family line.  Thomas Whyte b 1767 was Mary’s brother who was a farmer at Giffen Castle farm and was married to Mary Montgomery.  Jean King, James’ younger sister, brought up Ann King’s son, William Young (my great grandfather) and they lived at Giffen Castle farm with Thomas and Mary Whyte.  I found them in the 1851/1861 Census, so there is a very strong connection with the King/Whyte family.  I also have the birth record of Ann King b 22/8/1816, daughter of Robert and Mary King.

You mention in your notes that there may be a connection with the Free Church.  I have a copy of Jean King’s Will, dated 1883 where she has left the sum of £19 to the Home Mission Fund of the Free Church of Scotland.  She also left a sum of money to David King, her brother who emigrated to Canada. 

I have also not found in my research any connection to the McGregor Clan.

I was very interested to hear that your grandfather emigrated to Canada at the young age of 14 yrs – how amazing is that?  You mention that he was married twice and had 4 children with his second wife.  You also mention Matthew Neilson and Jean (Andrew) in the same paragraph.  I’m not sure where these members fit into the picture. I would be grateful if you could please clarify this?

Thanks again for your very useful and valuable contribution.