Author Topic: MacGregors of Contin and Fodderty, Ross  (Read 5050 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MacGregors of Contin and Fodderty, Ross
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 May 18 11:57 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find a baptism for Alexander MacGregor, born on the 18th of February 1860 in Contin? I realise it is after civil registration began in 1855 but it would be a nice date to have. His elder siblings were all christened into the Church of Scotland.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Death registration for Margaret MacGregor, died 1862, Fodderty
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 May 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Margaret died in Fodderty in 1862. She was the widow of Simon, who had died there in 1859. Is there any record of her death? I only found the year on ScotlandsPeople. Her maiden name was MacKenzie.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death registration for Margaret MacGregor, died 1862, Fodderty
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 May 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
Yes - details as you said. You need to click on the  . column (6 credits) to view the death cert.

Ref is 1862 065/1  Fodderty.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death registration for Margaret MacGregor, died 1862, Fodderty
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 May 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 26 May 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find a baptism for Alexander MacGregor, born on the 18th of February 1860 in Contin? I realise it is after civil registration began in 1855 but it would be a nice date to have. His elder siblings were all christened into the Church of Scotland.
Unlikely, because the registers of baptism from 1855 onwards are still in the churches, so it would require a visit to Contin to see the register of baptisms, assuming that it has survived, of course.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 26 May 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, I did think it would be unlikely. Thanks anyway :)