Author Topic: Frank and Florence Pepper  (Read 2318 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Frank and Florence Pepper
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am inquiring about my great-great-grandparents, Frank and Florence Pepper (née Harding). Frank was born in 1874, in Canada, to parents from Cambridge. They returned a few years after his birth. Florence appears to have been born in St. Martin's Le Grand. The couple married in 1896, in Southwark. They lived in Newington, Lambeth (1901 Census), Eltham (1911 Census) and Ireland at some point.

If possible, I would be grateful to know:

1) Exactly where they married
2) Where the couple died and when

Thanks,

Adam McGregor
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frank and Florence Pepper
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
From FreeBMD.org.uk:

Deaths, June qtr 1941
Battersea Registration District     vol 1d, page 591
Pepper, Frank W     age 63
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this. Were there many Frank Peppers that you came across?Did you manage to find a death record for a Florence Pepper also?
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
The site KGarrad used is free, and is a very useful place to start. 
You will find it incredibly useful to get to grips with looking at it yourself. And then you will also have the fun of finding things yourself. And, as in this case, seeing how many Franks there are around in order to make your own judgements about whether any might be worth pursuing (by purchasing cert etc).
Don't get me wrong - on here we love looking things up for people and do so willingly, and if you get stuck please just ask. But from your own point of view you will get more out of research if you familiarise yourself with some of the basic sites!

Did your Frank ever use a middle initial "W"?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat

The marriage registration index does not give middle initials for either Frank or Florence.  It is possible this marriage is in a registry office as yet I have not found it online.  Did they have children, if so what are their names

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
Rosie99

They had my great-grandmother, Florence Sarah Irene, in December 1902, in Newington, Southwark. They did have other children, but none made it past infancy.

Lizdb,

Thanks for the website, I'm going to have a look in a minute. As for a middle initial, none is used in the 1901 or 1911 censuses, nor the 1881 one.

Thanks,

Adam

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
St Martin's Le Grand was  a former parish within the City of London.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Martin%27s_Le_Grand
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that KGarrad. I could only find one similar record, but her birthplace was listed as St. Martin's in the fields, not St. Martin's Le Grand. I'll have to get a hold of the 1896 marriage certificate to see who her father is listed as.

Thanks,

Adam

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
Florence S I married David Lipman in 1935 Finsbury RD, they can be found a few years later in Cambridge.
Lipman, Florence Sarah Irene cremated on: 24 February 1976   (Cambridgeshire)
Lipman, David cremated on: 13 May 1965   ( Cambridgeshire )

I had wondered if Frank & Florence moved to Cambridgeshire but can't see anything obvious
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk