Author Topic: Susannah Beagley (née Watkins) b. ca. 1801, Farringdon  (Read 4342 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Susannah Beagley (née Watkins) b. ca. 1801, Farringdon
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am enquiring about my great-great-great-grandmother, Susannah Beagley (Watkins). She was married to - though I cannot find a marriage certificate - Samuel Beagley, son of the England and Hampshire cricketer, Thomas Beagley (1789-1858). Samuel was registered as being in Berkshire in the 1851 Census, with his wife still in London, and I believe he was the Samuel Beagley who died in the Windsor area in 1859, considering that the name is not native to that area, and that he had been living in the county, working as a bricklayer like his father before him. However, Susannah is never seen again. Does anyone know what became of Susannah? She was born in the early 19th century, in Farringdon, but I know little more than that. I would appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Susannah Beagley (née Watkins) b. ca. 1801, Farringdon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused here.
Samuel BAGLEYS 1859 Death Reg Gro Index has him age 55
So Birth c 1804

Thomas Beagley (1789-1858) you quoted would be a bit young to be his Father?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
It can't be him then. He was born and baptised in 1806 (with his father merely 17, as confirmed by numerous websites), and his year of birth is 1806 in the 1841 and 1851 censuses. Might be an error on the original record.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
Here's one of the sources - http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/o/w/e/Marie-T-Owen-portland/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0411.html.

Samuel's birthplace was given as Farringdon, and took up the same trade as Thomas.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:22 BST (UK) »
It does however have Thomas' date of death wrong. He died in 1858, in Paddington, as a pauper.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
So this one?
BEAGLEY, THOMAS, age 68****
GRO Reference: 1858  M Quarter in KENSINGTON  Volume 01A  Page 11

Is this the 1851 you have for Susannah?
Sammann Beagley, 28, Wife, Mar, born Frensham, Kent (sic) (image 38)
George Beagley, 19, Bricklayer
Saml Beagley, 16
Thomas Beagley, 11
Boys born Camberwell

Sorry I am digressing and should be looking for Susannah POB etc and where she went after 1851.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:45 BST (UK) »
Yep, that's her. The transcription says Faversham, but I believe that this is a corruption of Farringdon, which other sources give as her birthplace. By the 1851 Census, her husband is bricklaying as a lodger in Berkshire, giving his birthplace as Farringdon.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
I'm also interested in what became of him, seeing as my hypothesis appears to be wrong!

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Here's one of the sources - http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/o/w/e/Marie-T-Owen-portland/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0411.html.

Just a little tip - don't use other peoples trees or websites as "sources" !  By all means look at them, use them as an idea to follow up, and then check out the information yourself. But always do that , go back to as many original documents as you can.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk