Author Topic: English family Pepper lived in Cork in the 1920s  (Read 1483 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
English family Pepper lived in Cork in the 1920s
« on: Tuesday 25 July 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My great-grandmother and her parents lived in Cork during the 1920s. Her daughter died in 1922, in Almaville, Blackrock, Cork. Does anyone know where this is, history of the place or anything?

Thanks,

Adam McGregor
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: English family Pepper lived in Cork in the 1820s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I wonder what he was doing there when he died.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that! Very interested. I've added it to my file. I presume he would have been buried in Ireland. Does anyone know of any Protestant or non-denominational cemeteries in that area?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: English family Pepper lived in Cork in the 1920s
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
St.Michaels is quite close to the house.
https://goo.gl/maps/JncxJZmiV2q

Almaville
https://goo.gl/maps/rtCdooqwmUr

9 mins walk according to Google Maps directions

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 07:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I'll see if I can search for a burial record.

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 July 17 18:30 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Do you know the names of Frank's children?

He is not listed in the 1901 or  1911 census as living in Cork.   The only Peppers listed in Cork in 1911 are Bertram Laurence Pepper and his wife Ethel Theresa both born in England.  Might Bertram be Frank's brother? and he joined them in Cork.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001889192/

I did come across a birth of a Henry Sidney Pepper in Fermoy Co. Cork on 13th December 1894 giving his father as Frank and his mother Marianne nee Gunstore ( looks like it???) Frank's occupation is soldier and his address at that time Old Barracks Fermoy.   

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1895/02225/1839155.pdf

There are only two Frank Peppers in 1911 census and have ruled out both as one only 17 and the other aged 30 and a soldier in Belfast but listed as single.

As other responders have said St. Michaels (Church of Ireland ) cemetery Blackrock is the most obvious it would be a good idea to contact them and they would certainly be very willing to look up the burial records for you.    There is another St. Michael's cemetery (RC) in Blackrock but it only opened in 1960's.

Some other options for possible burial place are

Templehill cemetery, Ballintemple, very near to Blackrock - No records available for this cemetery.

St. Josephs, Tory Top Road
St. Finbarrs Cathedral, Cork City  ( C of I)
St. Finbarrs cemetery, Glasheen Road,  ( multi denominational).

I checked out a book by well known Cork historian Richard Henchion titled East to Mahon,
The story of Blackrock, Ballintemple, Ballinlough, Ballinure and Mahon ( all adjoining areas).
Lots of information on burials at Templehill and some on St. Michaels C of I Blackrock but no mention of Peppers or Almaville.

Another suggestion re burial if a poster has a subscription to old newspaper records they might be willing to do a look up of the death notices at the relevant time and sometimes it might mention the cemetery.     You could also contact the Cork County library - local studies department and they are very helpful and would probably look up the newspaper death notices for you.   

https://www.corkcoco.ie/library-services/local-studies-family-history

Sorry we can't pinpoint the exact burial place for you.

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 July 17 22:01 BST (UK) »
He was living in England in the 1901 and 1911 Censuses. He was born in Canada to English parents, and grew up in Cambridge and Sevenoaks. At some point, him, his wife and their daughter moved to Ireland. They were there during the uprisings, as his daughter recalled the black and tans setting up a machine gun in their back garden. I don't know when they went or left. I don't know exactly why he moved to Ireland. He had worked for a department store, and I'm told stores such as Woolworth's were set up across Ireland. I don't know about a Bertram Pepper. Frank had lots of siblings, but I'm afraid I don't know the names of all of them.

Thanks for all the burial information. I'll be sure to contact as many of the places as possible.

Thanks again,

Adam