Author Topic: O'Shea, Male, Cork, born around 1990  (Read 1450 times)

Offline GarryO77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Shea, Male, Cork, born around 1990
« on: Thursday 27 July 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
I am looking for info on any living family of mine. I was born on December 9th 1990 (according to my US Birth cert.) and adopted 3 years later by blood relatives in the US (Maryland). I was told very little (my birth name is supposedly Garry Michael (or Mick) O'Shea. I have no idea who my birth parents are. My adopted mother has told me she is an aunt or great aunt to me biologically but she will tell me no more. I'm obviously, as you can imagine, running into dead ends. I also was made aware through other family that my parents are most likely not living. If I could have any kind of a lead, that would be great.

Offline GarryO77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Surname: O'Shea, Male, age 26. Born in Cork, adopted in 1993, USA
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 July 17 11:16 BST (UK) »
I am looking for info on any living family of mine. I was born on December 9th 1990 (according to my US Birth cert.) and adopted 3 years later by blood relatives in the US (Maryland). I was told very little (my birth name is supposedly Garry Michael (or Mick) O'Shea. I have no idea who my birth parents are. My adopted mother has told me she is an aunt or great aunt to me biologically but she will tell me no more. I'm obviously, as you can imagine, running into dead ends. I also was made aware through other family that my parents are most likely not living. If I could have any kind of a lead, that would be great.

Threads merged to prevent duplication of effort.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surname: O'Shea, Male, age 26. Born in Cork, adopted in 1993, USA
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 July 17 11:37 BST (UK) »

Have a read of this from Citizens Advice.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/adoption_and_fostering/tracing_your_birth_family.html
Adopted persons have the right to their birth cert but not sure if this has been enacted yet
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/more-than-50-000-adoptees-to-get-right-to-birth-certificates-1.2879812

Good luck with your search.

Offline GarryO77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 July 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you,

I am familiar with both of those posts.

I do appreciate the reply however.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 July 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Do you know if the adoption took place in Ireland or America? each U.S. state has different rules so if it was in America you need to see what applies in your case.

If you were born in Ireland but not adopted until 3 years later then your birth would have been registered in Ireland- have you tried applying for that birth certificate? It may only list your mother's name but would be a start.

What about tracing adoptive mother's family back a generation or two to see if you can find a connection (remember that we aren't allowed to post details of living people here)?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Shea, Male, Cork, born around 1990
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 July 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Garry077

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Please take a moment to read our guidelines for posting as we have a clearly defined 'no living people' policy here

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

and we are not a forum for reconnecting with missing family and friends.

Any help we give can only be general in nature.

As an outsider, it seems to me you have a copies of some records relating to your adoption by family members but not your original birth cert issued in Ireland. Have you tried to get a copy from the Irish authorities?

If family members are unwilling to give you specific details, have you tried drawing up a family tree starting with your adoptive mother to see who her siblings are and who their children are and where you might fit in to that tree biologically?

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline GarryO77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 July 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
I am unsure. My adoptive mother refuses to tell me anything, no matter how many times I ask. I have no link to any family. With no one cooperating, I am completely lost as to my next steps. I'm not sure how to go about getting a copy of my Irish cert. Or even either of my parents names to look it up.

Offline GarryO77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 July 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Oh, well thank you for your time. I shall delete my account then, since I won't get the assistance I seek here.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 July 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
You can try to get your birth cert but you need to know if you were legally adopted or not, if not and you have the correct birth name you can apply for it using that name, if you were legally adopted follow the advice on the link above.