Author Topic: Peter Gordon Mitchell  (Read 795 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Peter Gordon Mitchell
« on: Saturday 29 July 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
According to BillionGraves, Peter Gordon Mitchell (83) and his wife Margaret Millicent (71) both died in 1983 and are buried in Hindmarsh Cemetery, 31 Adam Street, Charles Sturt, Adelaide, South Australia.

I would like to know whether this is Peter Gordon Mitchell, born 6 December 1899 in Aberdeen, Scotland, son of George Mitchell and Jessie Ann McKimmie.

Any suggestions how I might go about that?

If this is the same Peter Gordon Mitchell, I would also be pleased to hear from anyone who has any more information about him and his family.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Gordon Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 July 17 10:26 BST (UK) »
Trove Newspapers (Border Watch 15 Feb 1838)

WEDDING NOTICE
Margaret Millicent Sutherland to Peter Gordon Mitchell, of Adelaide, 12 Feb 1838 at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. Her father named as Hugh Sutherland, of Moorak - his father not named

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 July 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
That's interesting, but is it really 1838? Because 'my' PGM wasn't born until 1899.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 July 17 10:42 BST (UK) »
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 July 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
Yes - it's 1938. This is what comes of operating so much in the 19th Century!!

I note that anyone can apply for a S/Australia marriage cert over 75 years old - 75 and less comes with restrictions.

Rosball has identified the other reports I'd spotted

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 July 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
Here's the info you can expect on a South Australian marriage cert ...
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 July 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
From ancestry, South Australia Police Gazette 1928

Peter Gordon MITCHELL was appointed to the foot branch of the Police Service on 16/4/1928

Ros

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 July 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you both - having been reminded of the virtues of Trove, I have been finding loads of references to P G Mitchell in South Australia. He served in the Gordon Highlanders in WW1, which is evidence to link him with Aberdeen, and his age at death is an exact match, so until I get a certificate I am working on the basis that he is the one I am looking for.