Author Topic: Edmund Tinson of Chipping Norton  (Read 1467 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Edmund Tinson of Chipping Norton
« on: Sunday 30 July 17 20:30 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors was Edmund Tinson who married Mary Davis in Chipping Norton 1710 and had a son Will in 1725.  I have seen wills for 2 other Edmund Tinson's  1688 and 1692  in Chipping Norton very likely his father and grandfather, I can make out an Alice mentioned in one of the wills and there is a marriage 1620s for an Edmund Tinson to Alice but there doesn't seem to be any other mention of any of the Edmunds until the wills and the youngest Edmunds burial in 1787 I've tried various spellings of Tinson and looked further afield but no success, any help would be appreciated

Regards
Julie

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Tinson of Chipping Norton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 July 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am not sure what your question is but if it is Edmunds' baptism could this be it?

25 Jan 1683/4-Edmon TINSON s John

there is not another Edmund/Edmon baptised between then and 1714- son of your Edmund(do you have those baptisms?)

I cannot find a marriage for John at C/N or any other baptisms :(

The transcribed TINSON baptisms start 1564 for Chipping Norton

Kim

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim

I was trying to choose my words carefully on the post as I had mentioned a certain website relating to  the Tinsons and had my previous post removed by admin, you hit the nail on the head, I was trying to piece together Edmund Tinson (who married Mary Davis) family and it seemed likely the other 2 Edmunds must fit in there somewhere.

I have Will 1723-1724 WILL bapt 23 May 1725  Sarah 11 Aug 1728 Richard 31 Oct 1732 as Edmunds children, I was missing Edmund 1714. Will served his apprenticeship with John Tinson in 1745 and sometime shortly afterwards moved to Melton Mowbray and married Elizabeth Henfrey in 1752.  As there is nearly 80 miles between Chipping Norton and Melton Mowbray for years I was looking closer to Melton for a family for Will with no luck then by chance I found his burial aged 71 Melton Mowbray with a reference to son of Tinson of Chipping Norton and that's how I traced his bapt  back to Edmund.

Thanks for your help

Julie

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 July 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

The first baptism for Edmund and Mary is a John TINSON bapt 12 Feb 1711/12
also
28 Mar 1714- Edmond
03 Sept 1716-Richard - Buried 06 Sept 1716 Richard s Edw
25 Aug 1717-Elizabeth
28 Dec 1720-Mary
then William/Sarah and Richard

I wonder if John Tinson married at Melton Mowbray ?

Kim :)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 July 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim

I've found Timson/Tymson families 1600s in Melton Mowbray, no John though at the moment.  I have noticed that some of the birth transcriptions in Chipping Norton seem to be for Edward/Edmon having said that I  notic some of the births are to Edward and Elizabeth as parents not Edward and Mary so it does look like they were brothers.  There is a John Tinson burial 1730 aged 74 from Almeshouse?   if John is my Edmonds father then that puts his birth c1656 but as usual no birth, or marriage so far, I'll look further afield there could be a connection between the Timson/Tinson families

Regards

Julie

I put a post on the handwriting forum regarding Edmund Tinsons will and there is a mention of £5 for Edmund his son Johns boy, so not bad 2 generations confirmed now for Edmund, his father and grandfather on one day, now which Edmund is John's father,  the will for 1688 is the one with John the 1692 will mentions Alice as Edmunds wife

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=776107.new#new

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 August 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi There

This is much further away but there are Tinson's in Worcestershire as I have a few on my tree from Little Comberton but the name seems to be in several counties so I wonder if there is a link somewhere but I think your best bet is to stay in OXF for your searching

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

You are right these Tinson's do get around, there are Tinson's in Leicestershire at the time Edmund and John were in Chipping Norton so perhaps mine originated Leicestershire, went to Oxfordshire then returned back to Leicestershire, I've not made a connection yet but it would seem strange to move so far without some sort of family connection.