Author Topic: Desperately Seeking James Ward  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Blueskyraven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Desperately Seeking James Ward
« on: Sunday 30 July 17 22:50 BST (UK) »
Desperately seeking any info on my missing Grandfather James Ward b. Ireland ( most likely in Donegal )b. 1910 approx
fact : lived in Halifax Yorkshire in 1931-1932
family legend: Jim Ward- Irish Catholic- joined Royal Engineers approx 1932- served in WW2 -returned to live in Halifax Yorkshire - worked at Redmonds Engineering- never married-was cousin of Royston Lewis of Halifax, Yorkshire.
Our family dna results are a match with the following people........
Matthew Ward b. Donegal , Ireland and his wife Elizabeth ( Betty ) Crossan b. Donegal, Ireland. Matthew and Elizabeth had at least 4 children- Neal, Henry, Margaret Jane , Susan all born in Donegal between 1835 and 1857 before emigrating to USA .
Our guess is that a sibling of Matthews is my ancestor so If we can find the record of the Irish marriage of Matthew Ward and Elizabeth Crossan and their Parents BDMs or census,  we should be able to find the common ancestor leading to my Grandfather James Ward.
I have searched high and low online. I have made contact with a lovely USA Ward cousin descended from Margaret Jane Ward who is helping but as I dont have access to paid records at this time I am asking for help here. Thank you ahead of time .
NB I am unable to access war records as James Ward is not named on my Mothers birth certificate.
NB: there is a James Ward b. 1910 died Sept 1964 in Halifax Yorkshire which may or may not be my Granpa
Donegal             - James Ward lived in Halifax Yorkshire
Nottinghamshire - Edson, Jones, Sisson, Wagstaff
Yorkshire            - Hanson, Ward   
Yorkshire            - Cole, Falkingham, Reynolds, Rhodes
                            Sargesson, Scott, Sugden,
Wiltshire             - Reynolds, Brown

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately Seeking James Ward
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 17 23:24 BST (UK) »
Your not going to find BMD or Census for the early Ward family, BMD for Catholics start 1864, the only chance is church records but many don't survive from that time.
http://registers.nli.ie/
The earliest compleat Census for Ireland is 1901.

You might be better looking at the Royston Lewis connection, have you any idea when he was born?

Offline Blueskyraven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 17 00:00 BST (UK) »
Oh Okay thank you. I will try that , Royston Lewis would have been born around 1930
Donegal             - James Ward lived in Halifax Yorkshire
Nottinghamshire - Edson, Jones, Sisson, Wagstaff
Yorkshire            - Hanson, Ward   
Yorkshire            - Cole, Falkingham, Reynolds, Rhodes
                            Sargesson, Scott, Sugden,
Wiltshire             - Reynolds, Brown

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 July 17 00:28 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't have a clue about UK registration districts but you could try finding Royston's birth here
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/
I don't see a Lewis/ Ward birth on a quick look but the connection could be to James' mother.
Are you sure Royston is deceased, if not we shouldn't be using his name here.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 July 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
James Ward Family search born 1901 died 1964 (63)

http://www.familysearch.org

Offline tgatins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 June 18 01:17 BST (UK) »
I do not know if this will help, but you might want to broaden your search outside of Donegal. My great-grandmother was Mary Jane Ward (b) 1836 in Dungannon, Armagh. She married Joseph Muldoon also of Dungannon. They emigrated to Pennsylvania sometime prior to the birth of their son James in 1862.
Gatins of Donegal
McFadden of Dunfanaghy, Co. Donegal
Gallagher of Roshin, Co. Donegal
Nicholl of Mohill, Co. Leitrim
Doyle of  Laheen South, Mohill, Co. Leitrim
Wynne of Co. Leitrim
Kelly of Donegal
Muldoon from near Dungannon co. Tyrone/Co. Armagh
Ward from near Dungannon co. Tyrone/Co. Armagh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 18 08:45 BST (UK) »
The surname Ward is found all over Ireland- I've got some traced back to Tipperary- but the original poster would be best to start with grandfather James Ward and work back through the many Irish records online.

Grandfather James Ward b. Ireland ( most likely in Donegal )b. 1910 approx
Is an exact date of birth/day and month of birth known? (this will help to find a match in 1911 Irish census & birth certificate)
Did he ever marry? (if so, marriage certificate would hopefully list father's name & occupation which would help in searches of 1901 and 1911 Irish census, Irish vital records, etc.).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 June 18 09:09 BST (UK) »
I do not know if this will help, but you might want to broaden your search outside of Donegal. My great-grandmother was Mary Jane Ward (b) 1836 in Dungannon, Armagh. She married Joseph Muldoon also of Dungannon. They emigrated to Pennsylvania sometime prior to the birth of their son James in 1862.

Dungannon is in County Tyrone, not Armagh. Since it's not that far from the Armagh border then perhaps they lived in County Armagh but gave the name of the nearest town. It's also possible that they were referring to the Catholic Parish of Dungannon which covers part of Co. Armagh- https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0214(earliest records start 1821)
Older records on pay site- https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=0214&parish=Dungannon

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tgatins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 June 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
The Tyrone/Armagh discrepancy on Dungannon concerned me years ago and had forgotten about it till you pointed it out again. As you point out it is possibly a proximity issue. The source was a letter from their daughter's religious order providing her bio info they had on record, it listed the birthplace of her parents as Dungannon, Armagh. I took that as their preferred county of origin and have been misrepresenting the geography without explanation since. Thank you for reminding me that accuracy is critical in this area.
Have not had much luck with the parish records, there are Wards and Muldoons everywhere and no way to link them with the available on line records. Found some possible links via the DNA tests to relatives in Pennsylvania, but there was some family drama years back I do not know the details on, but my Muldoon grandmother is buried in a different cemetery than my Gatins grandfather.
Gatins of Donegal
McFadden of Dunfanaghy, Co. Donegal
Gallagher of Roshin, Co. Donegal
Nicholl of Mohill, Co. Leitrim
Doyle of  Laheen South, Mohill, Co. Leitrim
Wynne of Co. Leitrim
Kelly of Donegal
Muldoon from near Dungannon co. Tyrone/Co. Armagh
Ward from near Dungannon co. Tyrone/Co. Armagh