Author Topic: Jessie and Mary Gearing. I can't find any birth records, and i'm new to this.  (Read 7574 times)

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi can anyone help me, as i'm new to Ancestry.
Where and what do I need to do to find and view FHL Film numbers?.

Someone that has passed away was looking for Mary Gearing, and wrote this on Ancestry message board that she'd found Mary.
Mary was sister to my G G Gran Jessie Gearing, and I to can't find a birth after a years of looking. I'm hoping if I can find Mary it might help my find sister Jessie. Jessie was born a few years after Mary's dad passed away (also a post reads John was not Mary's real dad) can anyone one help?

The lady posted the below.
  Posted on message board.  SHE'S BEEN FOUND!!!!!! After a lot of searching we've managed to find Mary Adelaide's baptism (though still no trace in the GRO index, so no birth cert). Almost everything I was told by mother an grandmother was wrong, but I think Mary Adelaide herself believed it to be true. Firstly her birth date was 26 Jun 1868 (not 26 july 1871 which was the date she herself used). her father was John Gearing (he died Jan 1870) he was a carpenter not a painter (but his father was a printer - I can see some miscopying here). also she was born in St Giles holborn, not Lambeth, her parents did live in Lambeth for a time and some of her siblings were born there. But she WAS a cigar maker (in fact that's how we found her - mum had remarried, she was in the 1891 census under stepdad's name). I've certainly made the most of my Ancestry with this search, which involved downloading page of the census, until I found a likely looking candidate, and then checking BMD records for feasibility. Then I had to go to London to look at church records. All this however has taken me right back to Mary Adelaide's grandparents, and way before civil registration, so it was effort well worth making.

Thank you

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie and Mary Gearing. I can't find any birth records, and i'm new to this.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to the forum. Is this the thread below? If so just post a reply and join in the discussion:-

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=250507.0

Blue

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie and Mary Gearing. I can't find any birth records, and i'm new to this.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

This is not Ancestry.

This is a free site where members assist others, for enjoyment and not for profit.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 10:18 BST (UK) »
You asked about FHL numbers, they refer to films made by the Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS). Transcriptions and deatils about the films can be found here

www.familysearch.org

The LDS are removing access to their films as they enter the digital age and are putting their reources online.

You may find this information elsewhere though.

As to the topic mentioned by Blue, that was started in 2007 by somerlea who hasn't been online here since 2011.

If you post on her topic and her email address has changed, she won't get a notification that you have posted but it's worth a try.

If you want to do more of your own research, the have a look at our London & Middlesex boards for more information and resources and post a request there if necessary.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/london-and-middlesex/

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
Link to discussion on Ancestry it might be better to reply on this discussion instead:-

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/surnames.gearing/85/mb.ashx

Edit: It looks like you might be already on there as Russellfolk?

Blue

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
Where are they on the 1881 census?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
The baptism registers for St Giles are at the London Metropolitan Archives according to this link if you want to look at Mary's baptism and see if Jessie's is there too. LMA link below too:-

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/the-collections/Pages/st-giles-in-the-fields.aspx

https://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwimain.dll/144/LMA_OPAC/web_detail/REFD+P82~2FGIS?SESSIONSEARCH

Blue

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
Don't really know where to post this now but here goes anyway.
There's no marriage for John Gearing = Ann Witton.
There's no birth registered for Jessie/Jessica Gearing/Witton/Thackery.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
The children were supposedly born before 1874 (when the law regarding birth registration changed) so there may not be birth certs to find.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea