Author Topic: Jessie and Mary Gearing. I can't find any birth records, and i'm new to this.  (Read 7632 times)

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie and Mary Gearing. I can't find any birth records, and i'm new to this.
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 04 February 18 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Anyone reading this chat, if you'd like to help, and have ancestry pm me your email address and i'll invite you onto my tree as a guest, where I can copy and paste the info I have, but I can't fit all the puzzle together.

Hi Annette, Thank you for coming back to me, I wish i'd seen this message 6 months ago, because I'm still looking for Jessie's birth and where she and her mum and dad came from.

I've ordered the birth certificate, and even if its not her it just means i'm still looking for her.

I do feel Jessie must be named as another name in error. Jessie when she married called her first born daughter Jessie (she died married at 21, but I can't find a wedding, thats another something to be found) as well, so it plays a part in the family. Both Jessie's are buried in the same Church.

When Jessie Gearing married James Measures her dad read Henry Gearing a cabinet maker. All her brother and sister's there dad was John Thomas Gearing. John had a married brother Henry, could he be her dad, I can't find much on Henry.

You wrote on the 1891 census ''info given by mother'' where did you see this please, because I can't see anything, and I'd like to add it to my tree please.

On the 1891 census sister Mary Mary Adelaide, she goes onto marry Thomas Dickeson. Ann Witton died in the workhouse, and spent most of her life working there as a washing lady. The address on her death is daughter Mary's as Dickeson.
On Ancestry someone that passed away was looking for Mary's birth, and couldn't find it, she put she'd found a baptism, but no birth, and wrote on Mary wedding dad she said her dad wasn't her real dad. On the baptism her dad reads John Gearing.

Jessie's mum Ann witton couldn't write and when getting married she sighed with a X so would be why she didn't witness her childrens weddings.

Ann Witton. the name purdy signs as witness on a lot of wedding, as if Ann dad William witton a Tailor has passed away.

Ann Witton married Charles Frances Ashley in Oct 1853.
Ann as Ashley married John Thomas Gearing in 24 Feb 1856 he died in 1870, so won't be Jessie's dad.
Ann as Gearing married James Thackerrey in 24 July 1877

Info James Thackerrey first wife married in 17 Aug 1847 was called Mary Ann Patterson she died in 1876.

Jessie was born abt 1874?

I found a Jessie Patterson B. 3 Dec 1873 -D Oct 1874 mother was called Mary Ann Patterson. Birth place Holborn st giles, and st George Camden. Child was illiginamet 3 weeks old and mum a servant.  Could this be anything? did the child die, so the called her Mary Ann? known as Jessie?

Ann Witton I think had a brother and sisters, being.

Mary Ann Witton married in 10 Sept 1849 to John Thompsom. living at Church Street, dad william Witton a tailor, Purdy was a witness.

Sarah Witton married Robert Purdy. Living at Church Street, dad ''Charles'' William Witton is a tailor, Purdy Signed the certificate.

Charles William Witton looks like he married three times, but I can only find two.
one was to
Susan Norman in Apr 1860 living at Church street, dad william witton a Tailor. Purdy was a witness.
Mary Ann Fleming may 1870 living at Charles Street, dad William Witton, a tailor,

When Ann Witton first married Sister Sarah as Purdy and Robert Purdy signed as a witness.

On Ancestry people have William Witton as marrying a Catherine '' Kitty'' Truelove, from Newport Pagnell Bucks. This does add up on my tree with dates and census, because I this she looked after Ann and William in London after?.

I think there is a missing link where a James Mackbright married Kitty Truelove aka Catherine, they had two children called Ann but one was known as Catherine? all this still doesn't tell me where Ann and her dad came from.

Thank you Annette for your help.

Jenny

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie and Mary Gearing. I can't find any birth records, and i'm new to this.
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 04 February 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
should read William wittons Wedding to Catherine Mackbright Doesn't Add up, not does.

Jenny

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I think seeing the post above Frances Maria Gearing died in 2 july 1861, but her name got put as Maria Frances in error? St Matthew, Brixton, Lambeth.

I've ordered the Mary Ann Certificate, so i'll let you know when I get it, and what it reads.

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 09 February 18 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much, I ordered the certificate and its Jessie.

Thank you everyone, and Thank you so much Annette. xxxxx

Regards Jenny xxxxx :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Brassmill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 26 March 20 11:02 GMT (UK) »
HI, my ancestors.
Henry Charles Gearing, cabinet maker in 1896. There was a Jessie in the family.

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 26 March 20 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thank you Brassmill

My tree has been so hard in finding Jessie's family, can you tell me anything of Charles Henry Gearing or Jessie or any of the other family members.
My Tree is on Ancestry

Offline Brassmill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 27 March 20 11:28 GMT (UK) »
HI, I am not currently subscribed to Ancestry but Jessie Gearing 1867-1905 was probably daughter of Ann Frances Murphy dob 1837. Henry Charles Gearing Dob 1836 St Giles. Confusing because wife given as Frances Ann Clarke Dob 1802 - probably just v popular names. Look him up in 1851 census He is listed wrongly as Henry Cllr Gearing.  His father was William Whinrey Gearing. That was the name given to WWG's son.