Author Topic: Jessie and Mary Gearing. I can't find any birth records, and i'm new to this.  (Read 7576 times)

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie and Mary Gearing. I can't find any birth records, and i'm new to this.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone, I've been clicking on all your names next to the small square to reply to you all. This one i've clicked the reply at the bottom of the page. Is this what i'm meant to do?. Sorry i'm rubbish  :D

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie and Mary Gearing. I can't find any birth records, and i'm new to this.
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 20:07 BST (UK) »
You need to click on the blue reply button at the top and bottom of the topic, then the reply will be posted here and everyone can see what is being said.

If you send personal messages, only the person who gets the message can see what you are saying.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 22:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you, i've written on the post where someone put the link above where they posted about the lady looking for Mary in the hope someone will see it. I'm going to print all the info on Mary, and take it to the London Archives in the hope they can point me where the lady found the info on Mary.

So if I click on your name on the left is that private just so I know. I've started using the reply button below. I didn't want to be posting in the wrong place.
 Thank you for your help x

Jenny

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 03 August 17 00:21 BST (UK) »
if you look at this 1851 census I think this is Ann as a child (Jessie mum) not sure where the surname Hope came from. look at where Catherine came from?. Other trees marry William to Catherine Mackbright re Truelove, but the dates don't add up if she looked after Ann in London?.

Household Members   
Name   Age
Robert Purdy   22
Sarah Purdy   24
Robert Purdy   3
Catherine Hope   51
William Hope   17
Anne Hope   15

Then look at this, if this is the same family? I've got lost on this

HO107/ pc 1737/ folio 191 /pg 54

Cow Fair, Stony Stratford West

Name   Catherine Mackbright
Age   85
Relation   Wife Mother
Occupation Pauper Formerly Lace Maker
Where born   Newport Pagnell

Household Members   

Samuel Ashton   56
Mary Ashton   57
Sarah Ashton   24
William O Ashton   18
Mary A Ashton   16
Catherine Mackbright   85  (other trees she doesn't have a daughter Catherine? and her age doesn't add up to william  )

I must have the hardest tree ever.  :D

Moderator comment: edited for content. Please do not copy and paste census transcriptions from online sites as they are subject to copyright. You must transcribe what you see in the images.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 03 August 17 02:10 BST (UK) »
I've just been looking at records for Jessie herself - in 1891 (with mother, sister and stepfather) she's shown as bc.1874 Lambeth, in 1901 (now married) bc.1875 Holborn and the following census shows bc.1876 Southwark - I note her death in Dec.qtr. 1939 shows bc.1875 and 39 register gives birthdate as 18/1/1875.

Lots of inconsistencies as you can see but wondered if you've ever followed up on this - a Mary Ann Gearing birth reg'd Mar.qtr.1874 Lambeth - mothers maiden name Witton.   There is no death entry for this child so could this be your Jessie?   Whilst I can't explain away why she'd be a Mary Ann when she had a older sister with Mary as a first name if, as 1891 census says (info given by her mother) that she was born ca.1874 Lambeth this birth registration would fit exactly - whilst she may have got her birthyear wrong in later life was the birthday of 18th January correct just in 1874 and not 1875?   If you have not followed up on this already if I was you I certainly would.   There is no marriage between another Gearing and Witton so would think this birth record must be a child of Ann Gearing and from the date the likely candidate is your Jessie albeit with a name you wouldn't expect.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 03 August 17 03:07 BST (UK) »
Jessie could be the daughter of Frances Maria. She would be 15 in 1874.

I can't find a death or marriage for Frances.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 August 17 08:07 BST (UK) »
Both Annette and Jamjar make good points.

I think the girls before Jessie are Mary Catherine and Mary Adelaide so Mary Ann seems feasible and perhaps it seemed best to change it  :-\

That birth certificate would be following up definitely.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 03 August 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
Frances Maria isn't with her mother in 1871 and there is also a child, Ann T , aged 5 yrs who I don't think we have listed earlier  :-\

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 03 August 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
A tree on My Heritage for John Thomas Gearing and his family, father William Whinrey Gearing, to which I don't have access, says that there were 9 children " They had 9 children: Mary Adelaide DICKESON (born GEARING), Elizabeth Ann GEARING and 7 other children".

It also indicates that the marriage document is on their site.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams