Author Topic: Charles Oldham  (Read 651 times)

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Oldham
« on: Wednesday 02 August 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
Please does anyone know the details for the birth of Charles Oldham, tailor, born c 1765.  His age of 78 years when he died in 1843 tallies with his age of 76 on the 1841 census for Padstow, Cornwall, when the column headed "whether born in same county" was marked with a clear Y for yes.  I have all the other information I need for Charles' family, right down to his greatx6 grandchildren, but cannot find his baptism/birth despite perusing the registers (mostly the originals) for all Cornish parishes.
Oldham (Cornwall), Lovering (Cornwall & Cardiff), Kestle, Post, Brider, Woodhams (Kent & Surrey), Willmott (Exeter & Southwark) Rose (Lincolnshire)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Oldham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 17 04:36 BST (UK) »
Charles' death notice in the Royal Cornwall Gazette gives his age as 87. That seems like quite a big difference, but might be worth expanding your timeframe?

"At Padstow, on the 11th inst., Mr Charles Oldham, tailor, aged 87 years."
Royal Cornwall Gazette, Friday, December 15, 1843

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
When I did my researches I did cover a much wider time frame, but thank you for your suggestion.  The death certificate definitely says 78 years so the Cornwall Gazette has probably just reversed the figures to make 87!
Oldham (Cornwall), Lovering (Cornwall & Cardiff), Kestle, Post, Brider, Woodhams (Kent & Surrey), Willmott (Exeter & Southwark) Rose (Lincolnshire)

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 August 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
I've now looked through my Oldham paperwork and can confirm that an age of 78 years was given in Charles' obituary in the West Briton and also in the parish burial register - so it looks as though
typo-gremlins had got at the Cornwall Gazette!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 17 02:52 BST (UK) »
Ah, shame. You're probably right about the gremlins.  ;D

Sorry I can't be of more help, definitely a hard one to find!

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 August 17 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for trying to help.  I do wonder if Charles was the same person as the Richard Oldham who was bapt. Padstow 1765,he was the son of Richard and Elizabeth whose marriage is untraced and who had no more children bapt. Padstow.  Elizabeth was buried, 90 years, in Padstow 1831.  Richard senior was not buried Padstow so I do wonder if Elizabeth was a widow who had returned "home" to Padstow by the time Charles was brought for baptism.  She could well have been the Elizabeth Dunn bapt. Padstow 1840, which would explain why Charles Oldham and his wife Prudence (nee Davies) gave John, their second son, Dunn for his middle name; there is no record of Dunn occurring in Prudence's family