Author Topic: Abraham Bancroft, 1913-1978, Stoke-on-Trent  (Read 3558 times)

Offline huxleg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abraham Bancroft, 1913-1978, Stoke-on-Trent
« on: Wednesday 02 August 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me?

I am researching my father-in-laws family tree and have discovered that his mother and father were both friends and work colleagues of a Abraham Bancroft, 1913-1978, born in Wolstanton, died in Butt Lane, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

All we know is that Abraham Bancroft worked in the pottery industry in Middleport/Burslem during the 1930's/40's and may have gone on to have his own pottery manufacturing business. We also believe that he created a ceramic bust of Reginald Mitchell CBE AMICE FRAS in the 1950's which was on display in Stoke-on-Trent Museum.

If anyone has any information on him they'd like to share especially a picture or two so that we can put a name to a face then we'd be very grateful.

Kind regards and thank you for reading

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Bancroft, 1913-1978, Stoke-on-Trent
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Did he marry?  Freebmd has 2 marriages for Abraham Bancroft in Stoke - one in 1933 and another in 1944.  Children were born to both marriages who could still be alive

He did not leave a will but administration was granted and he left over £14,000.  For £10 you can obtain a copy of the documents which may give you some family info for contact purposes
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline huxleg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, he married twice once in 1944 and again in 1950.  I have traced his children/grandchildren through birth certificates but not sure how to approach them as we are not related.  Do you have any suggestions how I might go about this?

Thanks,
G

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
I usually try and contact a male relative with the same surname as females tend to marry.  I then use the Directory enquiries trace here to see if I can find a phone number

www.thephonebook.bt.com

If you manage to contact somebody - just be honest with them as to why you are ringing.  I usually start by saying something like "this isn't a cold call I'm doing family history research and I think you have a connection to ..........
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline kirstyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Huxleg, did you have any success with contacting anyone?

I happened to search for the name "Abraham Bancroft" just now, as that's my great, great, grandfather's name, and your forum post came up. I don't think I know anything about the Abraham you're talking about, but there have been a few Abraham Bancrofts in my family.

I have some newspaper clippings. One of them is about the death of an Elizabeth Bancroft in Burslem in 1952, and the funeral was attended by "Mr. & Mrs. Abraham Bancroft." who would have been her son and daughter-in-law. I'm wondering if the Abraham who attended the funeral in 1952 might be the same one you're looking for.

I saw in another forum you mentioned that "Yates" is his sister's married name, and also present at the funeral was a "Mrs. L. Yates" who is described as a niece. I'm attaching the newspaper clipping to my post.

I have quite a lot of old Bancroft photos and newspaper clippings, but I'm not sure if I have anything that would be useful to you. Even if we can confirm that's him in the newspaper clipping, I don't know if he was close enough to the rest of my family to be in any of their group or wedding photos, and many of the photos aren't labeled with names.

Still, I hope this message reaches you just in case anything is mildly interesting or useful. As a disclaimer: I'm not the one who did the family tree research. Most of what I know and have comes directly from my paternal Grandma who passed away in 2010.

Offline kirstyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 03:49 BST (UK) »
I'm confusing myself badly with all of these names; it doesn't help when they repeat! and doesn't help that I don't have the actual tree diagram available to me currently. Also doesn't help that I'm not into genealogy haha.

Am I interpreting the newspaper clipping correctly, that these people are brothers and sisters: Thomas, Abraham, William, Hudson, Eric, and the wives of Eric Forrester and Maurice Horn (which would be Nora and Grace)? And their parents are Hudson and Elizabeth (Elizabeth is the one the funeral is for)?

If so, I have a photo which I know for a fact has Nora, Grace, Elizabeth, and Hudson (Sr) in it. And then there are 6 younger men, which must be their sons (as they had 6) and must include the brothers I listed. So if Abraham is one of those brothers, and if we're talking about the same person - which we might not be! - then he's probably in that photo.

Offline alanpalmer47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 September 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
I can remember standing in his Pot Bank and looking at his pots and plates and his kiln when I was a youngster. The smell of the clay is still clear in my memory and with me today.
He used to keep pigeons as well opposite his works in Talke.

Offline alanpalmer47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 September 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
We used to call him Abe

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 September 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
kirstyf - firstly welcome to Rootschat.

Yes, you have interpreted the names/relationships correctly, plus it was usual that the children would be arranged in age order, so Thomas would be the eldest son, then Abraham etc.  Not totally sure about the daughters, but that too was probably the case so Eric Forrester's wife was the elder.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY