Author Topic: The Gauden Family of Sedgley Staffordshire then Oldswinford, Worchestershire  (Read 1118 times)

Offline cookie49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have been tracing the Crow family (from my grandmother Doris Crow McCave) and found Phoebe Gaurden Robbins (married John Robbins; daughter Mary Ann Robbins who married Edgar Crow is my great great grandfather of Redditch, Worchestershire.

I can trace the Gauden family back to John Gauden born 1612 in Sedgley, Staffordshire. Beyond that, I cannot find any records.

Several members of the extended family, i.e. the Gaudens and the Baches, started in Sedgley and ended up in Redditch.   What was happening around the late 1700s that would have initiated the move?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline woodcutter59

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: The Gauden Family of Sedgley Staffordshire then Oldswinford, Worchestershire
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 October 21 11:55 BST (UK) »
I have also been looking up the Gauden family. I am also related via the Bache, Woodall and Kilvert families and my family are from Redditch. As far as I can see there seems to have been a Rev John Gauden that was from scotland and he moved to Sedgely (probably a church posting) in the black country, Most of my grandmothers family originate from various towns in the black country mostly centered around Brierly hill and Stourbridge. If the link I found is correct (doubtful), then we are descended from Royalty.
However its all very confusing as I am finding a lot of apparently conflicting info.
Regarding the move from Sedgley to Redditch, I suspect it was simply work related and the industrial revolution was beginning and canals were being constructed though I have no evidence to back that up.