Author Topic: Perrys  (Read 3505 times)

Offline keggs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Perrys
« on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have discovered that my Great great grandfather Charles Henry Perry was born in Laois in 1831. His father was George Perry. His mother may have been Jane but this is conjectural.

Charles worked on the Rail line from Dublin to Sligo. I know a lot about his life from the 1860s onwards. However I have no idea where to start looking for either Charles or George. What Church of Ireland or non conformist records are available for instance. Are there any published registers or other suitable records.

Steve

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Perrys
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:11 BST (UK) »
Difficult when you don't know which parish, but have a look at this
http://ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegistersTable.pdf

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
I see his marriage in Dublin on Irish Genealogy, it says his father is an agent, do you know what kind of agent?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
There are two results in the Applotment books in Queens for George Perry
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp
Shrink link not working so couldn't post result, but this might narrow down area to search.

Offline keggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sinann.

Unfortunately that's the frustrating bit I haven't a clue what he was an agent about. I wondered whether it might have been something about the Railways as I found that a Perry (can't remember who at the moment) was involved in investment with the Railways.

I think I may have found George's death in 1867 in Dublin aged 75. Just conjectural of course at the moment but it would take his year of birth back to 1792 which could be the right date if Charles Henry was the youngest or George married late. There is another potential George who married after Charles Henry was born. This would not surprise me either as it turns out that after Charles Henry Perry split from his wife his housekeeper bore him 3 more children.

Even more shocking is his daughter my great grandmother Anne Jane Perry married someone in 1875 then lefts him it seems, and set up home with my great grandfather in Scarborough, Yorkshire. She never had children by her husband as far as I can tell - all her children were via my great grandfather Edward Kelly who was Manx.

Religion didn't seem to matter much either to the Perrys as Charles was protestant and his wife Catholic (as you have realised looking at their marriage). Anne Jane seems to have followed suit, even though her sister became a nun.

Thanks again Sinann. If you have any ideas I'd be really grateful. It is a pity that the COI records were destroyed in the fire of 1922.

I'm not even sure of George came from Laois or just went there. There does seem to be plenty of Georges around which only adds to frustration.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 August 17 15:31 BST (UK) »

Offline keggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Although I can't find her baptism yet, Catherine Slamon or Slemen's younger sister Marianne was baptised at St. Andrews RC Church, Westland Row, Dublin in 1836. Catherine was also buried in the Ford Roman Catholic Cemetery in Liverpool, along with her aunt Margaret Flynn. Catherine died in 1906 while her aunt died in 1899.

Catherine's parents Thomas Slemen and Anne Flynn married 10 Apr 1826 in St. Andres, RC Church.

My great grandmother Anne Jane Perry also christened some of her children as Roman Catholic and Protestant at the same time in Liverpool. Finally, Anne Jane's sister was I believe a nun working as a teacher in a local Liverpool convent.

By the way do you know if the early baptism registers (bef 1836) of St. Andrews Church in Westland Row, Dublin are still in existence or online somewhere as they don't appear to be on a number of the online websites.

Steve

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:13 BST (UK) »

Offline keggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 August 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much. Very useful. You're a star. If you are able to come up with any other ideas I can pursue with regard to Perrys in particular that'd be great. May I ask what surnames you are researching.