Author Topic: Claro, Yorkshire?  (Read 7902 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Claro, Yorkshire?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
I have a death record on my family for a man who was registered on the BMD as in Claro but on his Probate form is shown as dying in Knaresborough.

A 'Registration District' (from 1837) is often made up of Parishes or places, named "Sub-districts" which in turn will have precise locations or address of where the Death; Marriage or Birth actually took place recorded on the Certificate Copy.

A Registrars Copy Certificate will be headed up:-

1847 Death in the Registration District of Claro
in the Sub-district of Knaresborough
Followed by date, place / address of death and other information

----------

I have a particular 19th Century Certificate (Mother's side) says "Occupation Proprietor of Houses" when his Widow reported his Death to the Registrar. Interesting, in view of something claimed in the family.

----------

Some of the original "Registration Districts" from 1837, in the General Register Office Index, have since been amalgamated into larger Districts.

The GRO Births, Marriages and Deaths Index with the Year, Year Quarter, 'Registration District' Volume and Page number is only a finding aid, to hopefully obtain the correct detailed Certificate.

Mark

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 April 19 08:51 BST (UK) »
And so it would seem that Government has always been confusing - so many districts, towns, cities, all allied in one unit!  However, I do remember working for an Urban District Council (UDC) and a friend who worked for an RDC (Rural) but they have now gone.  Further back, of course, we had Wapentakes and Sokes, Ridings and Parts...no wonder we all get confused on documentation from those times!
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 April 19 22:33 BST (UK) »
Parliamentary (Parly) boundaries, Administrative boundaries, Rape boundaries (land), Lathe boundaries, Hundreds, Riparian boundary, etc., etc. Ex Inland Revenue Boundary Maps.

;D we have a very short narrow Lane near here (so not easy for HGV trucks) with 4 houses on both sides and because the boundary between two Councils runs down the middle, two Refuse Trucks from the two Councils empty the bins etc for the houses on their side.

Mark