Author Topic: James L Graham  (Read 2415 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
James L Graham
« on: Sunday 06 August 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Please help !

I have Mary Scott age 20 ( my grandfather`s cousin ) who married a James L Graham age 21 at Galashiels on the 24th Dec.1920. Her father William Scott, mother Mary Scott ms Johnstone

Mary Scott or Graham age 27 ( ? ) then went on to marry John Tinline age 22 at Haddington on 24th Dec1924 ( I think she must have liked Christmas weddings !! )

I know that the Tinline marriage is right as my mother, aunt and grandparents visited them all in Haddington.

My problem is that I can`t find what happened to James Graham, either death or divorce, between 1920 and 1924.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James L Graham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Billy,

Is Mary recorded as a widow or divorcee on the second marriage to John Tinline, please?

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 17 19:38 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify Billy  :-\ ?
Don't see a marriage on Scotlands People in 1924 for Mary and John Tinline.
However there is a marriage between Mary Scott and John Tinline in 1928 in the district of  St Giles which is Edinburgh ....not Haddington  :-\
Could this be the second marriage you were referring to ?

Looby :)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I missed off that on the record of the marriage to John Tinline, it says Mary Graham widow, but I can`t find either death or divorce from James Graham.

Unfortunately, I haven`t noted the ref for the marriage to John, but their addresses were both in Haddington.

I`m thinking now I may have written it down wrong, I was visiting a heritage hub and was too mean to pay for the printouts!! Also,now conserving SP credits, but I`ll take a look at the St Giles marriage as Mary`s age at 1st marriage she was 20, 2nd marriage she was 27 - fits better with 1928.

Thanks for your work.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Billy,

Yes I would be inclined to view the original certificate - the age of 27 would fit better with 1928.

I had a look for a death of a James Graham between 1920 and 1928 and there were a couple possibilities of men of approx. right age but without viewing the certificates and verifying if Mary was noted as widow & if his parents names matched with names on marriage cert no 1 , it's impossible to confirm if one of these men are Mary's 1st husband. None have been indexed with the middle initial L , but perhaps whoever registered the death forgot/never knew his middle name  :-\   
Then again maybe James died outwith Scotland.
Good luck with your research

Looby  :)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help.

I have been unable to find a death for James L Graham on FreeBMD in England or Wales , but as the whole transcribing isn`t done it doesn`t mean that he didn`t die outwith. I just want to " finish him off " for want of a better expression. !!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Please help !

I have Mary Scott age 20 ( my grandfather`s cousin ) who married a James L Graham age 21 at Galashiels on the 24th Dec.1920. Her father William Scott, mother Mary Scott ms Johnstone

Hi there have you got the middle name wrong ?

See this marriage James R Graham to Mary Johnstone Scott 1920 Galashiels ref 775/123

Rosie

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 October 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
What a difference a year makes !

I think it is quite probable that the death for James L Graham, age 38, at Morpeth, in the March qtr 1938  is the one I`ve been looking for.