Author Topic: Edith Ella Fields?  (Read 8565 times)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Ella Fields?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 21:30 BST (UK) »
One of the floral tributes was from Elsie and Len and grandchildren (Kettering).

Maureen

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 21:51 BST (UK) »
Mr and Mrs L Young were at Clara's funeral, but it didn't say who they were. It seems to lead back to the Joseph L Young - Elsie M Fields marriage in 1933

However living in Luton in 1939 was Joseph L Young b 1908_ and Elsie M Young (Smith) born 1914 who might be the same couple

This might be her birth then -
June 1914 Biggleswade 3b 579
Fields, Elsie May   
mother Fields
(has the dreaded dash on the new index)

So it looks like Elsie was the daughter of either Ida May or Edith Ella. Possibly George and Clara might have brought her up?
Elsie having the middle name May might make Ida the more likely mother, but not necessarily.
John

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 10 August 17 12:49 BST (UK) »
I tend to agree that Elsie M Fields was the granddaughter of Clara Fields. But there's clearly an  inconsistency between the two funeral reports - she wasn't both the daughter as reported in the 1938 funeral report and an unnamed relative, probably grandddaughter, as reported in the 1944 report.

Yet the floral tributes included Elsie Len and grandchildren (of Edith's father George), which implies that Elsie was George's daughter. Perhaps to hide Elsie's illegitimacy she was brought up as George and Clara's child

I think Edith may have died prior to 1938 - the reports list relatives left by the deceased, not the total number of children. The death of Edith E Bird in Aylesbury age 29 fits perfectly with an 1896  birth. To stand any chance of sorting out this mess I think you need to invest in a few certificates Elsie's birth and marriage to Mr Young, and Edith's marriage to Henry Bird for a start.

Good luck!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 10 August 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
Got her!
Marriage, Sep 1915 Romford 4a 1541
Dorrington, Harold
Field, Edith E.

Death, June 1919 Romford 4a 434
Dorrington, Edith Ella
age 24

Biggleswade Chronicle, 30 May 1919
Deaths
DORRINGTON.—At Rainham, Essex, on May 23rd, Edith Ella Dorringlon, of Sandy, aged 23 years.

Obituary.
We much regret to record the death of Mrs. Edith Ella Dorrington, from tuberculosis, after an illness of seven months, at the early age of 23 years. The deceased was the second daughter of Mr. G. Field, of Ivel Road, Sandy, and resided at 18, Devonshire Terrace, Rainham, Essex, where she died, the body being conveyed by motor car from Rainham to Sandy on Monday. The funeral took place on Tuesday, the 27th, the mourners being Mr. H. Dorrington (husband), Mr. and and Mrs. Field (father and mother), Mr. and Mrs. H. Field (brother and sister-in-law). Misses Ida and Violet Field (sisters), Messrs. Frederick, Percy and Cecil Field (brothers), Mrs. Roberts (aunt), Mrs. Davis and Mrs. Turner, of Bedford (cousins),. Mr. and Mrs. Brown, Langford (uncle and aunt), Mrs. Rogers Langford (aunt), and Mrs. Thompson, of  Rainham. The polished elm coffin, with gilt fittings, was conveyed to the Parish Church in a glazed hearse, followed by coaches  containing the mourners. After the service in Church the body was taken to the Cemetery for interment. The Rev. A. Huggins officiated throughout. The inscription on the coffin was: Edith Ella Dorrington, born 11th March, 1896, died 23rd May, 1919. The undertakers were Mr. H. Barkiss. of Rainham, and Messrs. G. and H. Seamer, of Sandy. The deceased leaves a husband and a daughter and son to mourn her loss. There were some beautiful wreaths sent by relatives and friends.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 10 August 17 14:14 BST (UK) »
Well done Jon  ;D   ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cambridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 11 August 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Apologies for the delay in replying - for some reason it didnt send me any notifications!

Well, if I could hug each and every one of you I would - thank you so, so much for your help in solving this mystery. I'm actually a little bit choked up to read the report of her funeral.

Thats two of the daughters who died young, sadly.

There was George, Herbert (Bert), Percy, Cecil, Laurence, Violet, Doris, Edith and Ida May. We know very little about any of them but I'm determined to keep digging!!

The Mr L Fields who was serving overseas at the time of her funeral was my Grandad Lawrence.

Thank you so, so much! I am so very grateful!
xxx

Offline Cambridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 11 August 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Oh and Frederick too. Sorry Great Uncle Fred... :/

Offline Patricia Standish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 09 April 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Edith Ella Fields Dorrington was my grandmother. Elsie Fields was my mother. I obviously have all information on both.

Offline Patricia Standish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 09 April 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Cambridge. You are obviously a cousin of mine through the Fields side of the family. I have info on Doris Fields ( Edith Ella’s sister) as well.