Author Topic: Levis  (Read 1068 times)

Offline cyanda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Levis
« on: Wednesday 09 August 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hey, 
Im wondering if there is anyone that could help me find more information on my ancestor elizabeth levi/levy parents  her father jacob was only listed on her birth at the st peters church in leeds in 1802..... I cant seem to find a marriage for jacob and wife...... They was apparently  jews.
Tia
Cyanda
cyanda

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Levis
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Does Elizabeth marry Charles Minty in 1822 at St Peter, Leeds? If so she was not an observant Jewess.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
Possible burial for Jacob at Leeds in 1833; age shown as 84, a widower.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 18:04 BST (UK) »
Possible burial for Jacob at Leeds in 1833; age shown as 84, a widower.

Address was Off Street, and also buried with that address on 28 Nov 1832 was Sarah Levi aged 68.  Transcription says 'wife of' but no husband's name  :-X
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline cyanda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 August 17 04:42 BST (UK) »
Does Elizabeth marry Charles Minty in 1822 at St Peter, Leeds? If so she was not an observant Jewess.
yes she did marry charles.  I gathered she was a jew considering her brother joseph levi that was transported to nsw was known as a jew
cyanda

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 August 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
This is really quite a mystery.

The names of Elizabeth's siblings, who were also baptised in St. Peter's, would all have been common enough in a Jewish community of the period. However, the very fact that they were baptised at all would indicate to me that they were no longer practising Jews. If the 1833 burial was indeed Elizabeth's father, then he himself must have converted.

I cannot think of a valid reason for an observant Jewish family to have anything to do with a Protestant church.

Are you able to open this page http://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Leeds.htm? Scroll down to the section 'On-line Articles and Other Material relating to the Leeds Jewish Community' and read the articles by Cecil Roth and A.S. Diamond. Both articles were, of course, written long before easy online access to records. Lazarus Levi was in fact buried in St. Peter's cemetery. Israel Benjamin apparently 'became a Christian and was baptized at Dublin'.

What do you know of Joseph, who was sentenced to 14 years in 1830? What makes you say he was 'known as a Jew'?

Justin
(Incidentally, my surname is Levy! My German-Jewish great-gf 'married out', and my grandfather and his siblings were all baptised.)

Offline cyanda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 August 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
This is really quite a mystery.

The names of Elizabeth's siblings, who were also baptised in St. Peter's, would all have been common enough in a Jewish community of the period. However, the very fact that they were baptised at all would indicate to me that they were no longer practising Jews. If the 1833 burial was indeed Elizabeth's father, then he himself must have converted.

I cannot think of a valid reason for an observant Jewish family to have anything to do with a Protestant church.

Are you able to open this page http://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Leeds.htm? Scroll down to the section 'On-line Articles and Other Material relating to the Leeds Jewish Community' and read the articles by Cecil Roth and A.S. Diamond. Both articles were, of course, written long before easy online access to records. Lazarus Levi was in fact buried in St. Peter's cemetery. Israel Benjamin apparently 'became a Christian and was baptized at Dublin'.

What do you know of Joseph, who was sentenced to 14 years in 1830? What makes you say he was 'known as a Jew'?

Justin
(Incidentally, my surname is Levy! My German-Jewish great-gf 'married out', and my grandfather and his siblings were all baptised.)
justin  i know Lazarus was a jew according to his death mentioned in a leeds paper the year he died. As for joseph he live in a town called barrima  in nsw and a article mentions him being known as a jew
cyanda

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 August 17 13:00 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism for a Joseph, son of Jacob Levi, 19 May 1805 at Leeds.

A Certificate of Freedom in New South Wales shows Joseph Levi (b 1805 Leeds) to have been a dyer.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 August 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
Cyanda,

I think you'll find that Joseph Levi/Levy, the 'brewer of Berrima', was a slightly older man (b. 1799/1800 London), who had arrived in Australia in 1820.

Joseph Levi of Leeds was transported 10 years later.

Which one was your ancestor?