Author Topic: Missing family data pre-1871  (Read 2847 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Missing family data pre-1871
« on: Thursday 10 August 17 13:57 BST (UK) »

I'm looking for John Charles White a Baker by trade, born in Winchester circa 1830, he's not on the 1841, 51 or 61 censuses and he suddenly turns up in Manchester in 1871 with a family. His wife Mary Ann Aubrey born Banbury, Oxfordshire circa 1835 and children Margaret born in Maidstone Kent circa 1856 and Frederick born in 1859 in Walsall and this is where I hit a brickwall. There are no birth or marriage records for him and Margaret's birth isn't recorded.

I wondered if Mary Ann had been married to someone else when Margaret was born so I cross referenced every Margaret born in Maidstone between 1855-1857 and then looked for a marriage of the surname to a Mary Ann Aubrey and couldn't find one.

The White's are  not on the 1861 census anywhere in the country so it makes searching backwards more difficult.

I've found Mary Ann on the 1841 and 51 censuses and her brother living with them in 1891. It's John White that's causing the problem. I know he was probably a journeyman baker so moved around the country but where was he pre-1871?

I really would appreciate some help on this family it's driving me crazy.

Margaret

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing family data pre-1871
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 August 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Doesn't help find John but this presumably is Frederick's birth, so some variation in Mary Ann's  name...
WHITE, FREDERICK       MMN HORBURY     
GRO Reference: 1859  S Quarter in WALSALL  Volume 06B  Page 543
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 August 17 14:58 BST (UK) »

Thanks Josey. Looks good doesn't it?

I can't understand why John isn't showing up on any censuses prior to 1871 I've tried different spellings, used soundex and a wider birth date. I was wondering if he's changed his name for some reason and that's why I can't find him.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 August 17 15:08 BST (UK) »
If he was staying in a lodging house while travelling then his entry may have been missed [especially if working overnight as bakers did], mis-spelt etc.

I have looked on GRO index at all Kent births of a Margaret 1855 - 1857 & no maiden name Horbury/Aubury or variations. No baptism showing on familysearch [though I expect you have already looked for that].
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 August 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
According to this parts of the Manchester 1861 Census are missing;
http://www.findmypast.com.au/articles/census-for-england-wales-and-scotland-missing-pieces
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 August 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
where and with whom in mary ann in 1841 and 1851?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 August 17 15:20 BST (UK) »

I'll reply to each of you in turn. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to help me I really appreciate it.

Josey I had vaguely thought about that so looked for Frederick and Margaret but they aren't on the census anywhere.

Trish I hadn't thought that there may be some missing pieces but it could make sense because Mary Ann's brother Frederick Aubrey is in Manchester in 1861 and I wondered if they came together.

Pauline in 1841 Mary Ann is in the workhouse in Banbury with her mother and brother's and sisters. In 1851 she's a servant in Northamptonshire. Then if you take in the fact Margaret was born in Maidstone and Frederick in Walsall they could be anywhere in the country.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 August 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
I'm stumped as well  ???

Mary Ann was a servant in 1851 age 17 with the Moore family in Leicestershire

1841 I think she is in workhouse Banbury with mum and siblings
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 August 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
Only other child I can find is
WHITE, THOMAS       HORBURY     
GRO Reference: 1868  S Quarter in MANCHESTER  Volume 08D  Page 283
poss death
Deaths Sep 1868   
White    Thomas    0    Manchester    8d   317   

There are no children to be found 1859 - 1868 - perhaps John was in an institution [medical or penal] from 1859 - 1867/8 & only recorded under his initials?