Author Topic: Henry Charles DAUBENY  (Read 1292 times)

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Henry Charles DAUBENY
« on: Thursday 10 August 17 19:08 BST (UK) »

Hello

We would be grateful for some assistance on the above man (b @1785/6 North Bradley, Wilts) There are some records on A.....unfortunately I cannot search these at our local library as their computers are unavailable for the present

His death/burial details in 1873, there is also a Will & Probate

After the death of his first wife Mary Haines, he m again - Anna ? before 1830; not sure of her surname, but there is a marriage record to an Anna Morris, who may be his wife.. (can't find this record on Family Search) They had, I think, 2 boys Walter (1832 - ) & Frederick (1830 - ) (baptised Danberry) but may have had a dau Elizabeth Maria b 1828 St Pancras Old Church (to Henry Charles DAUBENY & Hannah - possibly Anna)

Not sure of the details of the 2 children of his first marriage (1814)

Anna ? was b @1809/10 d 1897 (aged 88) and they both appeared on the 1851/1861 C (under the name Danberry) and she on 1881 & 1891 C which we have

We don't know the names of her parents; perhaps Anna's surname will help

Son Walter was recorded as Danbury in 1881 - all these name changes don't help!

Many thanks
Jane

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Charles DAUBENY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 August 17 19:32 BST (UK) »
This could be his second marriage

Henry Charles Daubeny to Anna Morris on 14 Jul 1828 at St George, Bloomsbury. The witnesses were Henry Horswell and John Harrison.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 August 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
His probate can be found on the Find a will site GOV UK, and you can order the will from there for £10.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Daubeny&yearOfDeath=1873&page=3#calendar

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 August 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
This could be his second marriage

Henry Charles Daubeny to Anna Morris on 14 Jul 1828 at St George, Bloomsbury. The witnesses were Henry Horswell and John Harrison.

The marriage came after Elizabeth Maria's birth, recorded as 16 May on her 22 June 1828 baptism at St Pancras.  She was buried on 14 September 1828 aged 4 months.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 August 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
Jane

Sorry, nothing to help you with the questions you ask, but ...

"Henry Charles Daubeny, bpt at N Bradley 18 Dec 1786; Aug 17?? (poor copy) admitted to Winchester Col as a scholar; 18?? left the college."
Second son of Charles Daubeny of Bristol, gson of George Daubeny II, ggson of George Daubeny I, gggson of Andrew Daubeny.

I'm sure you are aware of the family from which Henry descends -  the hugely influencial sugar refining, distilling, Merchant Venturer, banking family of Bristol throughout the 1700s.

The late Bristol researcher Mr I V Hall studied the family, through all manner of records, in great depth. When he died his research folders etc (a van full) were collected by the staff of Bristol Record Office where they remain in a large number of storage boxes. When I visited some years back they had not been catalogued but I was given access ... what the present situation is I don't know.
Mr I V Hall wrote up the history of the sugar refining family and it was published in the 1960s by the Bristol & Gloucestershire Archaeological Society in their Transactions books ... Pt I - The Daubenys - George Daubeny I, 1965, Vol.84 ... Pt II - The Daubenys - George II & George III, 1966, Vol.85. The latter has a detailed family tree covering 6 generations.
If you've not read them yet, they can be found s/h online and bookshops, but I also found a full set in Cheltenham Library. Undoubtedly the RO has copies also.

You may already have all this info, but if I can help in any way, please just ask. The bones of the Daubeny sugar history are on my website at  www.mawer.clara.net/sugardd.html .

Bryan
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 August 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Groom for the marriage details. I wonder if his father Charles officiated?

[/quote]

The marriage came after Elizabeth Maria's birth, recorded as 16 May on her 22 June 1828 baptism at St Pancras.  She was buried on 14 September 1828 aged 4 months.
[/quote]

Thanks AVM228 for the record of her birth, which I didn't know. She may or may not have been their daughter, there is a possibility that she was, since the surname Daubeny is not that common and I can find no other Henry Charles of that time. Depending on the Vicar/Rector at the time, it is possible that he mistook her name Anna for Hannah. It is also possible that they had a child before they married, not unheard of - perhaps that's why they married

Jane

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 August 17 09:22 BST (UK) »
No, the marriage was performed by S H Wynne, curate.