Author Topic: Possible date of this photo found hanging in the Bakers Arms pub  (Read 1848 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Possible date of this photo found hanging in the Bakers Arms pub
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 August 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry, yes, middle finger.  Will ask my cousin if she continued to wear that ring into old age.  I used to visit her but wasn't really into jewellery and/or not very observant, so can't recall.  Will have to look at some more recent photos of her....

Thanks.
Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 June 20 09:32 BST (UK) »
Regarding the group photo:

Rootschatters helped with info about Arthur Kirk (one of the sons of the possible Kirk family in the photo) on this thread:  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=832923.msg6975448#msg6975448

He did join the army, the Northumberland Fusiliers, but was only in from 1911 until 1912, and emigrated to Canada in 1913.  His short army career included detentions for striking a senior officer, being drunk in town, and urinating into a ration tin.  When he was arrested and sentenced to 6 months in a civil jail for breaking a plate glass window, he was discharged. 

Also on his recruitment papers, he gave his brother Samuel as next of kin.  Previously he had been discharged from training ship Exmouth into the care of Samuel, in 1909.  From this I'm assuming that the parents were dead by this date, although it was likely the parents were living apart (given the court case reported in 1901 about the father and cruelty to the children, and his comments about his wife in court).  Samuel also stated at his wedding in 1911 that his father was deceased, but the children might have washed their hands of their father or not known if he was dead or alive. Possibly the mother was dead or in a workhouse by 1909?

Whatever did happen, it seems unlikely that this family would have posed for a photograph together! 

Perhaps it is a photo of one of Samuel Kirk's sisters and her inlaws etc?  Another lockdown project...
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 June 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
Your photo didn't attach, if you try to upload it again, you may need to rename the file.

Ok...I see them now....I didn't look at page 1
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 June 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
If it helps it looks like grandparents & grandchildren in the front
& husband, wife & sister at the back.
The soldier looks early-mid 30's.
The picture would have been taken 1916-18 so someone born
around 1885ish.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 July 20 15:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim1.  The date, people and age ranges don't fit anything that I've discovered about the family so far, but I will bear these ideas in mind.  It may be from Samuel and Alfred Kirk's maternal side of the family. 

Is the buttonhole of significance, worn by the seated man?  Or perhaps they just dressed up for the photo.
Crook, Bannister, Warren