Author Topic: Darowon, Mudgee, NSW  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Darowon, Mudgee, NSW
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 August 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
I don't think it is connected except by a coincidence of the name Henry C. Moir.  The other names, timeline and geography are not a good fit - but it is printed off and in the file and may be useful, even if just for the purpose of elimination.  Henry's father was also Henry, occupation compositor, in London.
Henry Christopher Moir did have a son of the same name but I have not been able to locate information about the son's death.  The grave of H.C.Moir at Wollar I believe shows the birthdate of the son, but the death date of the father.  That's something I have to sort out.  Moir is a name often misspelled.  I have requested a photograph from those lovely volunteers at Find-a-Grave.  I have found them very, very helpful in the past.   J

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 August 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
lpi maps  ;D  Wollar parish 1884

:)  :)  :)   MOIR x several by that name...  all the 'right' reference nos. on the 1884 map... :)

http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/land_titles/historical_research/parish_maps

Yes, the volunteers often tidy up the graves before happy snapping.   :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 August 17 11:59 BST (UK) »
I am going to have to have a raincheck on the maps - have just had cataract surgery so the detail is beyond me for a couple of days I guess.   I can see the promise in the maps (though I didn't find 1884, only 1882 and some others). 

In the meantime, you (and the other contributors) have given me much to work with.  I'll send the link to the maps to an interested relative whose eyes might be working better than mine at present. 

Additionally, my daughter and I now work as a team and we are on the DNA journey.  We have found DNA really useful to confirm the paper trail (and so far it has!) as well as pushing our research further. Also, it looks like it might be the tool we need to break down a brick-wall that has blocked me for decades. 

J

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 August 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
another spelling variation  Derowen, Wollar  :) and Derowen, Barragan  :)  I say one and same !  :D

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/157620703  Mudgee Guardian 29 Nov 1906

and back 1 Sept 1899 ... Archibald KING advertised http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/156360978

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 August 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
 :)

15 photos of the property, Derowen, on/at 2160 Barigan Road, Barigan.   :)

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-other-nsw-mudgee-7724955

JM

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 August 17 23:19 BST (UK) »
Good morning!   Wonderful information and most useful.  Photographs from the real estate agent ditto.  Considering email agents to see if they are able to provide me with any land title details.  It would have been Old System.  As a legal secretary years ago i used to type up abstracts of title - fascinating material but a dreadful task on a manual typewriter.  The pages had to be joined together and sometimes the document would be over a metre long.   J

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 August 17 02:55 BST (UK) »
1884 map is for Barigan … Sorry …. I must get my glasses checked ! I wonder about this spelling ... Deraen as in Deraen Creek

But that 1884 map gives the best leads…. Deraen Creek joins Barigan Creek on Geo Smith’s properties which in turn are surrounded by various MOIR holdings which are surrounded by KING holdings !  all with their land title reference nos. clearly noted. 

PS, do you remember the modified manual typewriters with their extended (heavy hard to attach) carriages to cope with the 28 inch paper being folded in half (to 14 inch) inserted on that long side for margin notes  or the accounting ledgers to be typed up on those very wide loose leaf pages ?

JM

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 August 17 03:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I'm on it! 

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 August 17 03:22 BST (UK) »
The maps are really good.  Have forwarded link to daughter and sister-in-law (all interested and researching this connection) to see how good their eyes are.  Easier to see on the screen than as a printout.  It will be useful to work out the sequence of the land acquisitions/transactions. 

Harry Moir = Henry Christopher Moir
W. H.Moir is his son, William Henry Moir
J.T. Moir is his eldest son, John Thomas Moir