Author Topic: Brickwall Help - Spanish Ancestry, Patrick Gleeson, 1830s, Limerick  (Read 2113 times)

Offline cunneen_researcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brickwall Help - Spanish Ancestry, Patrick Gleeson, 1830s, Limerick
« on: Sunday 13 August 17 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hello fellow genealogists and family historians,

My ancestor Patrick Gleeson was born in Ballybeg, County Limerick, Ireland, in about 1839. His parents were Laurence Gleeson and Johanna Baragry.

An old, but reasonably reliable, family story has it that Patrick had recent Spanish ancestors (probably his great-grandparents or closer). I would like to find out, how would I go about finding the names of his Spanish ancestors, if he did have any?

Any help, whether in the form of information on the family or suggested research techniques/methods, would be immensely appreciated as I would really like to know more about my supposed Spanish ancestors.

Many thanks,

Matt.

Additional info:
- Laurence & Johanna married on 21 May 1835 in Sologhead, witnesses: Patrick & Margaret Gleeson
- Laurence Gleeson was a farmer
- Johanna Baragry's father is believed to have been a soldier ('probably a sergeant')
- The Spanish ancestry is believed to be on Johanna's side of the pedigree
- Could the surname 'Baragry' be a misspelling/mis-transcription of a Spanish surname such as Baragui, Barangri, Barangui, Bargui?
- Patrick Gleeson was baptised 19 Apr 1839 in Sologhead, sponsor: Maria Gleeson
- Patrick had no known siblings
- Patrick had brown eyes and dark, curly hair - features supposedly inherited from his Spanish ancestors
- Johanna Barragry supposedly remarried to a man with surname O'Brien
- Patrick is believed to have arrived in Australia with his step-father O'Brien
- Patrick may have arrived in Australia per the 'Great Victoria' on 28 Nov 1864
- He married Ellen Hogan (1860-1953) on 9 Jun 1882 in Yarrawonga, Victoria (Marriage Cert. 1882/2315)
- He died on 14 Oct 1914 in Goorambat, Victoria (Death Cert. 1914/12596)
- Patrick's ancestry hasn't been proven beyond his parents, but there are likely grandparents in the records
- The story of his Spanish ancestry was told by his daughter, who passed away in 2000
- Autosomal DNA testing will soon be done for two of his descendants to possibly find distant cousin matches

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall Help - Spanish Ancestry, Patrick Gleeson, 1830s, Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
As you said Patrick Gleeson was married in Solohead, I checked a list of Tipperary people to Australia. Solohead is north of Tipperary Town. this is where these people were from.
If you know these people please say and I will dig further.
Maggsie
BARAGURY   Thomas      1865   27   Tipperary City   Patrick / Harriet - F dead;M at Tip   {a pensioner,81st regiment}   2 Sis=Bessie&Annie+Bro=Denis,   CumberlandSt   Ship  = Himalaya
BARAGY   Anne      1854   18   (Tipp)   Patrick/Harriet   F dead , M at Tipp   Bro=Dennis&sis=Betsy in Sydney   Ship =   China
BARASY (AGY ?)    Dennis      1853   20   (Tipp)   Patrick/Harriet   Mother in Tipp   Sister in Sydney  . R.C.    ship =   John Fielden
BARASY (AGY?)   Mary      1853   20   (Tipp)   John/Mary CONNORS   Mother in Tipp   None . Wife of Dennis Baras/gy   ship =    John Fielden

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

Surnames tell you nothing really about your ancestry,  at best they tell you the language heard, spoken or which influenced the first to take the surname or the first to change the surname, as surnames are just words chosen/taken from the language.

Irish took names from the Irish language 700/800 years ago, many changed their Irish surnames to English language names/spellings 500 or so yrs ago

It is much more likely an Irish surname "Mac Bearthagra", a variant of Mac Biorthagra  which is Irish and means 'son of the sharp pleader'
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Gleeson family-Yarrawonga

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 September 20 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt. These are my Ancestors too!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 20 11:45 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

If you make at least one more post (just say Hi etc), you can use the Personal Message (PM) system to contact the OP (Matt) and exchange personal data, such as e-mail address.

The OP was last on RootsChat in March 2020 but if his email hasn't changed, he will receive notification of your post and will hopefully respond.

Personal Message (PM) system: https://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 20 12:20 BST (UK) »
Stories of Spanish ancestry from the Armada is quite common on the West coast of Ireland. Believed now to have no foundation (any Armada survivors were rounded up for the bounty on their heads) it's simply a common colouring for people in the area going back to early settlers on the island of Ireland which were gradually pushed west by the following waves of settlement.

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 07:27 BST (UK) »
Sinann
When I had my dna test done in which both my parents are Irish, my dna said I had 5% iberian blood cheers little annie
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.