Author Topic: The Phoenix - Liverpool to Melbourne July 1854  (Read 2298 times)

Offline stsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always happy to help with research and photos.
    • View Profile
Re: The Phoenix - Liverpool to Melbourne July 1854
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 August 17 08:35 BST (UK) »

Per later birth registration of David Phillips –
Thomas Phillips
Anne(e) Phillips
David Phillips (born 12 October 1854, registered 4 February 1856)

You have compiled a great amount of information!
When I was checking the BDM of VIC I assumed his birth record was a different one. There seems to be records of 3 people being born on the Phoenix in 1854. Would this be a different ship?

The three records are -

Unnamed PHILIPS, Male, Ship Phoenix, Father - Thomas PHILIPS, Mother - Margaret (Unknown), Birth - At Sea.

Unnamed DONALDSON, Male, Father - Thomas DONALDSON, Mother - Margaret (Unknown)

Agnes Phoenix EVANS, Female, Father - Thomas EVANS, Mother - Sarah (Britin)

I don't know if this helps or hinders?
CORNWALL, ENION and lots more

Offline Whyatt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 August 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Well I am amazed stsearcher.

The baby Philips (sometimes one l, later two), is almost certainly the son of my gt-grandfather, Thomas.  How the mother came to be recorded as Margaret I cannot say.

And what a happy reflection on the voyage is giving baby Aggie Evans Phoenix as a second name!

Again thank you so much - and how did you access this information?  I am sure I have looked in births at sea over the years (but perhaps I was looking for a David Phillips when his name was yet to be recorded).

Once more, my thanks

Whyatt

Offline stsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always happy to help with research and photos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 August 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
I can't tell you how much fun I have had looking for these little pieces of information. It has just been good to be able to help in this small way.

The information came from https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj in the "Birth's at sea" section. And I just searched for the ship in that year and not by any name. Boredom lead to the find, I originally searched for "Phillips" and came up with nothing. I came back to it later and did the ship search.

I haven't ever used that search before so it is good to know it is there. I may go through my own tree and see if it leads to anything. Helping makes my own research better.

Good luck.

CORNWALL, ENION and lots more

Offline Whyatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 August 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
stsearcher

Thank you for this and your previous generous advice - I will follow up.

Sincerely

Whyatt

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 August 17 01:47 BST (UK) »
 :)  :)  :)
May I mention that the actual PROV holdings that have been digitised and uploaded to commercial family history websites continue to be held at PROV. 
May I mention that the digitised image may well provide the clue re the missing Phoenix image.  You see, the digitised image has listed the Cabin Passengers:  Telford, McDonald, Mrs Collier + 4 children (aged 12, 6, 4,2) and Mrs Lowden + child (aged 7) as though they are passengers on the Claudine out of Wellington, New Zealand and that is likely because the original documentation includes a signed statement which reads 'We hereby certify that the above is the correct list of names and Descriptions of all the Passengers who embarked at the Port of Wellington'.

Here is a link to RChat's Australia Board : http://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia/  I am NSW centric, and I know there are many RChatters on that board who have much better understanding of Victoria's archives as their focus is Vic.

Thank you AussieJulie and stsearcher and now miri– I do appreciate your efforts.

From your work and other sources I can now identify the following 14 names/family groups as passengers on board the Phoenix on her voyage from Liverpool to Melbourne, arriving 29 October 1854:
Per Ancestry lists identified by AussieJulie
Collier x 5 people
Kelly x 4 people
Lowden x 2 people
S McDonald - 1 person ......

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 August 17 02:00 BST (UK) »
New Zealand papers
Wellington Independent 7 October 1854
Sailed
Oct 5 schoner Claudine 157 tons, Capt. Yule for Melbourne.  Passengers – Mr W Telford, Mrs Collier and four children, Mrs Lowden and child, Messrs S McDonald,  L Petherick, D & J Kelby, Mr and Mrs Kelby and child.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 August 17 04:03 BST (UK) »
I am seeking information on the Phoenix and its voyage from Liverpool to Melbourne from July to October 1854.

The PROV catalogue does not show any surviving records for that voyage.

Debra  :)

Offline Whyatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 August 17 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hi majm

Thank majm for you input and your careful checking of earlier posts - I appreciate the time and effort you have given in responding.

As is evident, I am a first-timer on RootsChat (or any other family history chat site for that matter) and I am feeling my way. 

Over the years I have noted how easy it is for confusion to arise from misinterpretation of material - for example, for a long time I had thought the Phoenix was subsequently wrecked in Torres Strait in 1856 or thereabouts - it was in fact a steamer of the same name!

Again thank you

Whyatt