Author Topic: William Chambers  (Read 1717 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William Chambers
« on: Tuesday 15 August 17 22:29 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone can help me trace the christening of my ancestor William Chambers. He married Farley Allen in Faversham on 29 November 1768. He was probably born c1742 as he was buried in Faversham on 28 December 1796 aged 54.

The only William I have found who was born in 1742 was christened in Seasalter in June 1742, however he appears to have died and been buried in August 1742. There is also a William who was born in Seasalter in 1755 however as he would only be 13 in 1768 I don't think he can be my William.

Is anyone able to check for a William Chambers, probably in Faversham, between c1739 and 1745 or let me know of any other possible candidates.

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: William Chambers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 October 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
Your William was probably  Baptised at  Leaveland, St Lawrence Church (as is a Village very near to Faversham .)

William Baptised  April 12th 1741.Son of Richard and Elizabeth Chambers.

also his Siblings all Baptised at Leaveland.

James            Baptised    December 28th 1733
Christopher    Baptised    February  27th 1736
Edmund         Baptised    November 26th 1738
Jane              Baptised    October 10th 1742

There is a Will for William Chambers at Prerogative Court of Canterbury 1796 might not be his as probate month is August.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 October 17 23:54 BST (UK) »
Your William was probably  Baptised at  Leaveland, St Lawrence Church (as is a Village very near to Faversham .)

William Baptised  April 12th 1741.Son of Richard and Elizabeth Chambers.

also his Siblings all Baptised at Leaveland.

James            Baptised    December 28th 1733
Christopher    Baptised    February  27th 1736
Edmund         Baptised    November 26th 1738
Jane              Baptised    October 10th 1742

There is a Will for William Chambers at Prerogative Court of Canterbury 1796 might not be his as probate month is August.

Hi there

I had forgotten about this post! Many thanks for the suggestion. This could well be my William as I know he named some of his children James, Elizabeth, Jane, and I think there is also a Richard Chambers.

I haven't seen the Will you mentioned but I will take a look at it in case it helps. Alternatively there may be a Will for him or one of his relatives at the Canterbury Cathedral Archives.

Do you have any idea when/where Richard and Elizabeth were married?

Many thanks again

Matt

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 October 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
   Richard Chambers.   Married       Elizabeth Wreight.  03 Oct 1729 at Boughton Aluph.

This seems to be the only feasible Marriage at the moment .Although Boughton aluph is a bit remote from Faversham or Leaveland.

This seems the most logical Baptism of Richard Chambers 25 Dec 1719 at Pluckley, Kent
        Son of Edward  and Jane Chambers . (Clue ..Later family names Edmund and Jane )

WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 October 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
   Richard Chambers.   Married       Elizabeth Wreight.  03 Oct 1729 at Boughton Aluph.

This seems to be the only feasible Marriage at the moment .Although Boughton aluph is a bit remote from Faversham or Leaveland.

This seems the most logical Baptism of Richard Chambers 25 Dec 1719 at Pluckley, Kent
        Son of Edward  and Jane Chambers . (Clue ..Later family names Edmund and Jane )

Hi

Thanks for the update. This is definitely an interesting link because William Chambers married a woman named Farley Allen in Faversham in 1768. Farley was the baseborn daughter of Elizabeth Allen and was born in Pluckley in 1747. Elizabeth might have been the wife of Thomas Allen as there is also a William Allen born to Thomas and Elizabeth in 1745.

However I don't think that the Richard who married Elizabeth Wreight in 1729 can be the one who was born in Pluckley in 1719, as he would only be 10. I have managed to find a more likely candidate though:

Richard Chambers - chr 18 October 1702 Pluckley - son of John and Susan Cambers

John Chambers seems to have married Susan Bourne in Egerton (which borders Pluckley) in 1690. He may have been in Pluckley in 1669 and appears to be the son of another John and Susan (this time John Chambers and Susan Browning who married in Canterbury in 1666).

Elizabeth Wreight may have been born in Bougton Aluph in 1689 to John and Rebecka/Rebecca Wreight.

However a more likely candidate is Elizabeth Wreight born in Sheldwich in 1708. According to a tree on Familysearch her father James died in 1748 leaving a Will in which she is described as being married to 'Mr Chambers'. I haven't seen the Will itself but if it names her husband as Richard Chambers I think that would confirm matters.

Anyhow many thanks again

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 October 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to check the parish registers of Challock for a burial of Richard Chambers?

Having now identified what I think are Richard Chambers siblings I am now trying to establish [a] where his wife was from, and whether or not his father was the son of John Chambers and Susan Browning which I previously suggested.

Firstly, his wife:

Richard Chambers marred Elizabeth Wreight/Wright in October 1729 in Boughton Aluph. Their first child, James, was born in 1733 and the last, Jane, was born in 1742.

There are two possible candidates for Elizabeth, firstly there is an Elizabeth Wright from Boughton Aluph, and then there is one from Sheldwich who did seem to marry a Mr Chambers. The question is which of these is mine, and who did the Elizabeth from Sheldwich marry?

According to many online trees on familysearch this second Elizabeth Wreight was the daughter of James Wreight and Jane Ellen/Elwyn. These trees also state that her father left a will in which she is described as the wife of Mr Chambers. I've now seen the will and it describes her as "Elizabeth the wife of Mr Chambers of Challock" - with no first name it's hard to know if that's Richard, does anyone know of any other Chambers/Wreight marriages in the challock area?

The only Elizabeth born in Boughton Aluph was chr in 1687 which would make her 55 when the last child was born, whereas the Elizabeth from Sheldwich would be 34. That sounds more reasonable but I can't be certain she's the wife of Richard.

I'll stop here as it's late but I'll add more tomorrow, plus an update regarding Richard Chambers possible grandparents.

Matt

Offline BWCJMTDC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt, I see that this is an old request, but I have something to add.
I have found an index to registers in Faversham that shows Wm and Farley Chambers baptised their children there named Susan (1777), Mary Ann (1779), Amy (1781) & Richard (1782).
Is this your family, because I'm curious to discover whom Mary Ann married.
I am investigating the family tree of Edmund Kean the actor who married Mary Chambers - this was in 1808.
I have read that in 1808, shortly after Edmund played in Kent, he then went to Gloucester and married Mary Chambers. This was witnessed by Susan Chambers, and I have read that Susan is Mary's sister. There are very few Mary and Susan Chambers that I can find that otherwise match.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt, I see that this is an old request, but I have something to add.
I have found an index to registers in Faversham that shows Wm and Farley Chambers baptised their children there named Susan (1777), Mary Ann (1779), Amy (1781) & Richard (1782).
Is this your family, because I'm curious to discover whom Mary Ann married.
I am investigating the family tree of Edmund Kean the actor who married Mary Chambers - this was in 1808.
I have read that in 1808, shortly after Edmund played in Kent, he then went to Gloucester and married Mary Chambers. This was witnessed by Susan Chambers, and I have read that Susan is Mary's sister. There are very few Mary and Susan Chambers that I can find that otherwise match.

Hi there and thanks for getting in touch. Yes that was an old post, I haven't looked at the Chambers much over the last two or maybe three years.

I have recently started to "re-do" my Chambers tree, not because there was anything wrong but because I lost the data when my laptop crashed early last year [just before the pandemic hit]. Thankfully I had a print out of all the info in the tree plus a partial back up saved on an external hard drive.

I have checked my updated Chambers tree and I have all the children you mention except Susan. Do you know what her christening date was?

As for the others, I have no other info on either Mary Ann [yet] or Richard. However I can tell you that Amy appears to have died young and was buried on 20 December in Faversham.

My direct ancestor is William and Farley's oldest son James Chambers [born 1769 in Faversham]. He married Sarah Shrubsole [born 1770 Faversham] at Faversham in 1791. James and Sarah's daughter Martha married Nathaniel Shrubsole Smith in 1820. His mother was Elizabeth Shrubsole who was born in Faversham in 1760. Elizabeth and Sarah were sisters [both daughters of Nathaniel Shrubsole and Elizabeth Scowler (or Scoler)] thus making Martha and Nathaniel cousins.

I have got back as far as 1614 with the Chambers but I don't have any indication on who Mary Ann may have married. There seem to be four Chambers wills at the Canterbury Cathedral Archives and I think I have copies of all, but sadly none are for William or Farley. Also I can't see any held by the National Archives.

If you think there's a link with those people you are researching I would love to hear from you.

Best Wishes
Matthew

Offline BWCJMTDC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 15:26 BST (UK) »
The index register where I found Susan/Susana (transcribed as Susna) is called the "Kent, England, Tyler Index to Parish Registers, 1538-1874" (ancestry.com collection #1901). But, I think that these is not the Chambers I am looking for.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1901/images/31854_A012200-00054?pId=39143
Source Citation : The Tyler Collection, The Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies; Kent, England, Tyler Index to Parish Registers, 1538-1874