Author Topic: Some Perthshire Cemeteries  (Read 13663 times)

Offline Watsonpast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Some Perthshire Cemeteries
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 14 November 20 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you buckhyne.  Nothing immediately jumps out as 'mine' but I need to research more thoroughly to be sure. 
(Thomas Watson is my direct ancestor.  He married in Aberdeen, later lived in Edinburgh, was an engineer but died in the Tibbermore Poorhouse in 1880)
Thanks again for your help,
Marlene

Hi there, I am new to this forum and have been brought here by this particular post.
I am also a direct relative of the thomas Watson you mention through his grandson George. I have just started to research my family in the last 12 months and would appreciate any help you could offer :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 14 November 20 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I am new to this forum and have been brought here by this particular post.
Welcome to RootsChat :)
I am also a direct relative of the thomas Watson you mention through his grandson George. I have just started to research my family in the last 12 months and would appreciate any help you could offer :)
The best thing you can do is tell us everything that you already know about your Watsons. This will save anyone rushing off to duplicate what you have already done, and will give a clearer picture of what you still want to find out.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 30 October 23 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Would there be any records for Murray at St Madoes?
William Murray died 1814 .
His father John Murray (unknown death date) and mother Ann Cochrane 1824.

Thanks
Suzy W

TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzy W

I have had a look through the MI Book for Eastern Perthshire there are no William Murray's in             St Madoes there are no Cochrane's either.

Where did you get the details from as there are no deaths on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I have looked in the cemeteries in the carse of Gowrie and nothing matches for any of the names you have listed.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Sounds about right for my family ;D
William Murray's death was the 17 June 1814, I have "Perthshire", however he was born in St Madoes, mother being a Cochran
he worked as a weaver between 1805-1809 Cross Ford Kinfauns Then Hallyhoo, so maybe he was not buried at St Madoes
 I believe his wife Mary died 11th Oct 1867 at St Madoes, she was living with her unmarried son John right up untill the 1861 census at St Madoes.

And those Cochrane's or Cochran, there seems to be only one family from St Madoes, there is another William just listed from Perthshire, both the same age having children the same time period, and people are muddling them up.  I think my William was married to a Rebecca Robertsone not the Janet Miller.  So if any death's at St Madoes should be William's and Rebecca's family lines, however like yourself I couldn't find a thing.

Thank you for looking
Suzy W

And far too many to add

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 04 November 23 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzy W

Were does the 1861 census say she was born?
Does it say she was unmarried or widow?

What was Mary's maiden name, using  the surname Murray listed below are all the Mary Murray deaths in Perthshire from 1860 to 1870.?

If I have the correct Mary she would have been born 1783 to 1785?

MURRAY     HARRIET MARY JA   1    LOW           F  1861   359 / 3   INCHTURE
MURRAY       MARY                     2   SULLIVAN  F   1863   333 / 9   BLACKFORD
MURRAY       MARY                    86  GALLOWAY  F  1870   379 / 16  MEIGLE
MURRAY       MARY                    41   PURIE        F  1860   394 / A / 33  SCONE (PERTH)
MURRAY       MARY                    48   HIND         F  1865     387 / 204    PERTH
MURRAY       MARY                    79   TAYLOR      F  1866     386 / A / 24 MUTHILL
MURRAY       MARY                     1     KEAY         F   1860    328 / 31       ALYTH
MURRAY       MARY                     5     MURRAY   F    1865    386 / A / 25 MUTHILL
MURRAY      MARY                    75     BROWN     F    1866    387 / 162    PERTH

1861 census from St Madoes

MURRAY ANN   1861 F 68 392/ 1/ 1    ST MADOES PERTH
MURRAY JOHN 1861 M 56 392/ 1/ 3    ST MADOES PERTH
MURRAY MARY 1861 F 77 392/ 1/ 3    ST MADOES PERTH

All the above taken from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Saturday 04 November 23 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzy W

there is a tree on www.familysearch.org says it's a copy of this person's ancestry tree take care with this information as the only true information is the records on Scotlands people where you can view  the original documents. 2:2:QRM7-3WN

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 04 November 23 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Mary Murray was born Jack 3 May 1783 at St Madoes died Oct 1867. Daughter of John Jack and Elisabeth Rollo
1851 and 61 she was living with her son John at Hawkstone, he was un-married.
I believe she died 1867 aged 84.
Records do seem to be quite thin with my family names dating this far back with the Murray, Cochran Rollo and Jacks.

Suzy W

And far too many to add

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Sunday 05 November 23 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzy

That tree I mentioned on www.familysearch.org have details of this family all records after 1855 are available to download at modest cost on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk also this family seems to have originated around Errol and Kinfauns Errol have sme of the oldest lparish records in Scotland again available to download also parish Church records are available to search and download there is on this site help available to use scotlandspeople
The person who uploaded this tree to familysearch.org has a tree on ancestry but beware of anything published on commercial sites unless they are supported by original documents and the only place to get them is scotlandspeope
Good hunting.
Yours Aye
BruceL