Author Topic: Some Perthshire Cemeteries  (Read 13387 times)

Offline gowjani

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Some Perthshire Cemeteries
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks buckhyne.
Caskie / Caskey in Ireland
Allan in Ayrshire , Scotland
Gowans in Fife , Scotland
Ross in Morayshire , Scotland

Offline lochheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 09 September 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, is the offer to do look-ups still available?

I am trying to find detail of Helen Adam, buried at Longforgan in 1826. I have the detail from the Parish Register but was hoping there may be an MI with more information.

Many thanks
Catherine

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 15 September 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
There are only these two for Longforgan.
One is an Adam and the other is an Adams.

Longforgan
80: 1860: George Clark 9.11.1832 77: wife Elspit Stewart 25.10.1819 67, by son John (wife Janet Adam 30.6.1845, 49, son William 26.8.1854, 2 months) also by son William

99: 1850: William Constable 1809, wife Jean Adams 1831…
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline lochheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 23 September 18 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Buckhyne …. not my lot, sadly ... :-\

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 02 November 19 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce and Buckhyne,

Firstly, thank you Bruce for previous information on Auchtergaven and Logiebride which finally came together this week after many years.

Which brings us to:

Belston, or Bellstown or variant, Methven detached.  All of the hatching and dispatching seems to have been done at Auchtergaven, except for these two.

John Paton (b 1777) and his wife Mary (probably Robertson) (b1777)

I have no access yet to the 1861 census images, but she is on the 1841 at Belston with him, and he is with a son at Belston in 1851 - no image, so I can't tell if he is a widower.

I cannot find them in Auchtergaven or Logiebride, and don't know where else to look for Methven detached burials.

Can either of you help?
Thanks in advance!
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 02 November 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
I have no access yet to the 1861 census images, but she is on the 1841 at Belston with him, and he is with a son at Belston in 1851 - no image, so I can't tell if he is a widower.
You have exactly the same access as everyone else - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is the only place you can see all the census images online.

I have access to a commercial web site with a transcription that shows that in 1851 he was a widower, born Methven, visiting the household of his son, daughter-in-law and three granddaughters. You could check that image at Scotland's People for less than the cost of a cup of coffee.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 02 November 19 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I recently found a reference from a reliable source, no longer alive, that some of my Stewart/Anderson ancestors are buried in Kilbryde Cemetery.

Janet "Stewart" Anderson, d. 1900 at Newington, Edinburgh (lived in Doune most of her life)
Her parents - John Stewart and Ann Innes are buried in this cemetery.
Janet's Daughters:
Janet "Anderson" Gray, d. 1920 At Killn, Perthshire
Ann "Anderson" McLaren, d. 1923 at Newington, Edinburgh
The reference is M.I.'s SO Perth p.193 #41

Does any one have access to this M.I. reference?

Thanks to Buckhyne and Bruce for previously trying to solve the where abouts of Janet Anderson and husband William Anderson.

Maybe the above reference will help.

Dave
Anderson, Stewart, Donaldson, Wright

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 04:20 GMT (UK) »
You have exactly the same access as everyone else - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is the only place you can see all the census images online.

I have access to a commercial web site with a transcription that shows that in 1851 he was a widower, born Methven, visiting the household of his son, daughter-in-law and three granddaughters. You could check that image at Scotland's People for less than the cost of a cup of coffee.

Hi Forfarian. 

Thanks for your kind reply.  I have not yet joined Scotland's People, as the index searches I have tried so far have been largely unsuccessful (too many returns or no returns when I know there should be one), leading me to believe that they have similar transcription errors to those I find on Ancestry.  The instructions on the Scotland's People website, as I understood them, were that I would find the image I wanted by doing an index search and then pay for each image viewed.   Frequently, index searches result in far too many returns - I do not want to pay to view 39 images to find the one right one.  In the event that I did not find the image from an index search, I would be left browsing census images for the entire parish at 6 credits per image -  a costly sum, or viewing the 39 images at 25 p per view.

It sounds, from your explanation, that I may have misunderstood the instructions.  Is there a way to narrow the results so I am only actually paying to see likely candidates?

By the way, which site do you belong to that had the information that he was a widower?  I am on ancestry and that information was not transcribed by them.

Also, you say that Scotland's People is the only place to see the census images online.  Do the LDS Family History Centres not have them as well?  I ask because I am in the process of mounting an expedition to my nearest LDS Centre.

Thanks for your input!
Holly

Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your kind reply.  I have not yet joined Scotland's People, as the index searches I have tried so far have been largely unsuccessful (too many returns or no returns when I know there should be one), leading me to believe that they have similar transcription errors to those I find on Ancestry.  Frequently, index searches result in far too many returns - I do not want to pay to view 39 images to find the one right one.  In the event that I did not find the image from an index search, I would be left browsing census images for the entire parish at 6 credits per image -  a costly sum, or viewing the 39 images at 25 p per view.
Yes, for some common names it can be annoying to get too many results. But the parish registers are fully indexed with the names of the child and both parents (assuming that the information is on the original record of course).

As for transcription errors, they don't exist because SP has no transcriptions (apart from the one of the 1881 done by the LDS, which does contain errors, some of them major), only originals.

There are indexing errors, but they are far fewer than on, for instance, Ancestry, and when any error is brought to their attention they correct it very quickly.

The instructions on the Scotland's People website, as I understood them, were that I would find the image I wanted by doing an index search and then pay for each image viewed.
Yes, that's right.

It sounds, from your explanation, that I may have misunderstood the instructions.  Is there a way to narrow the results so I am only actually paying to see likely candidates?
There are ways of seeing the whole of a parish register without paying separately for each page. In particular, the LDS filmed and indexed most of them, and you can view the microfilms in local libraries (free) and family history centres (if you are a member) in Scotland. You can also, or you used to be able to, arrange for your local LDS Family History Library to rent the films you want to see, and then view them there.

You could also try FreeREG https://www.freereg.org.uk/, though it is a long way from having covered all parishes. Using this you might be able narrow down which originals you actually want to see.

(The best way, of course, is to book a day or three in the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh, but I assume that you are not in Scotland so that may not be the simplest answer for you.)

By the way, which site do you belong to that had the information that he was a widower?
FindMyPast. If it had been my own family I would have checked the original on SP just to be sure.

I am on ancestry and that information was not transcribed by them.
That doesn't surprise me in the least. Not that FindMyPast is 100% reliable either -  I have devoted quite a bit of effort recently to submitting corrections to them. And more or less all the available online transcriptions introduce information which is not on the originals; in particular they all (mis)calculate the year of birth by subtracting the claimed age from the census year. The year of birth is never on an original UK census, or at least not on the ones available for research so far.

Also, you say that Scotland's People is the only place to see the census images online.  Do the LDS Family History Centres not have them as well?  I ask because I am in the process of mounting an expedition to my nearest LDS Centre.
No. LDS Family History Libraries do not have images of the Scottish census or of Scottish BMDs online, other than via Scotland's People of course. They have the census (1841-1901) on microfilm, and you can view the microfilms In an LDS FHL in the same way that you can view the parish registers on microfilm.

Incidentally I just re-ran the search for John Paton in the 1851 census in Methven in the SP index. I got three results without adding other details, for example his age or the name of someone else in the household, so it was easy enough to see which was the one you want.

Half a dozen clicks of the mouse sufficed to find him in the 1861 census in Perth.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.