Author Topic: William Riddoch's birth year  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: William Riddoch's birth year
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 August 17 08:31 BST (UK) »
If I hadn't discovered the group raising money for the headstone, they would have put 1854 as his birthdate because that's on the death certificate and what the cemetery knows. I feel a responsibility to him to get it right.
In your position I would send them a copy of the original birth and baptism record, and settle for the DoB being as recorded in that.

Errors do occur in the census, and it isn't unknown for a baby to be just missed off the list, or omitted when the enumerator transcribes the household data into the book. Additional errors are often introduced in transcription, though less often in FreeCEN because the data is transcribed twice by two different people, both of whom know the area. On the other hand Rosinish's suggestion that he is aged 6 weeks not 6 years should be looked into.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Bosconermal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 August 17 21:09 BST (UK) »
I will probably go with the birth/baptism record but as Rosinsh suggested I am going to send out a lookup request for the kirk session just in case someone has an opportunity to check. I can't do more short of going to Scotland and it would be good to put the doubt to rest.

Thank you all for your help-- I always learn a lot from these exchanges.
Smith (Midlothian, Scotland); Riddoch, Fraser, Tait, Stewart, McGilvery (Banffshire/Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Foster, Stevens (Cambridgeshire, England); Adams, Knowles (Somerset, England); Smith, Manning (Southwark/Bermondsey, England)

Offline Bosconermal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kirk Sessions lookup request for memorial for William Riddoch
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 August 17 00:53 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather William Riddoch was born in Alvah, Banffshire and died in Vancouver, Canada in 1914 in a work-related accident. He was buried in Vancouver in an unmarked grave. By miraculous happenstance, I recently learned that a group of people from the company he used to work for has raised funds to put a marker on his grave. There is a question about his year of birth, however.

His death certificate says he was born on February 23, 1854 and that is likely wrong. The parish record says he was born on February 23, 1851:

“William Natural Son of Alexander Riddoch son of James Riddoch, Farmer in Upper Deuchries and of Jean Pirie, daughter of James Pirie Crofter in m? of Deuchries was born 23 February 1851 - and subsequently baptized by the Reverend Andrew Todd of Alvah in presence of George Shearer and William Pirie witnesses.” (see attachment)

Census records from 1861-on imply a birth year of 1852 or 1853. I have been unable to find him in the 1851 census (when he would have been 1 month old), despite the help of some rootschat colleagues. Maybe he was just missed, but it would sure be good to confirm that 1851 birth year.

The best suggestion has been to find him in Kirk Session records, where his parentage would likely have been discussed. Those records are only available in Scotland, not online, and I live in Toronto, Canada.

If a member has an opportunity to look this up in the Kirk Sessions and confirm that his birth year is 1851 (or not), I would be grateful. I feel I owe it to William Riddoch to do what I can to get his dates right.
Smith (Midlothian, Scotland); Riddoch, Fraser, Tait, Stewart, McGilvery (Banffshire/Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Foster, Stevens (Cambridgeshire, England); Adams, Knowles (Somerset, England); Smith, Manning (Southwark/Bermondsey, England)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk Sessions lookup request for memorial for William Riddoch
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 August 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
There is this entry on the 1851 census, also living at the same reference is a William aged 30, Mary aged 31 and James aged 2. I have no credits at the moment to look at Scotlands People. Could Jean have "placed" baby William with his uncle? ( William being a witness at the baptism)
PIRIE
WILLIAM
M
146/ 5/ 9
Alvah

Banff

Could we merge here please as same /similar topic, I have looked for something already dealt with- again

Threads merged
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Bosconermal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 August 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Larkspur

I'll look into that to see if it's possible.

Offline Bosconermal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 August 17 03:01 BST (UK) »
It looked promising but the SP index says that the baby William is 0 and the actual facsmile says "9 mos" (also in FreeCen). Also says that baby William on is the son of William, the head of the household.