Author Topic: William Lee alias Dyer and Maria Pulman  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Lee alias Dyer and Maria Pulman
« on: Thursday 17 August 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am searching for the ancestry of my husband's direct paternal ancestor, a tailor named William Dyer. William was christened William Dyer Lee in Bath 2 June 1811 to William Lee and Maria Pulman. Sometime afterwards the whole family dropped the surname Lee and were known as Dyer (except for one daughter). This has been confirmed but raises other questions.

William and Maria married in Stoke Damerel on 29 May 1798. They had a son James Pulman Lee baptised here in 1800 (who later, as James Dyer, gives his birthplace as Stonehouse in the census). Then I found them in Liskeard in Cornwall, where two daughters, Jane and Mary, were born in 1803 and 1805. William Lee, then a tailor of Liskeard, was convicted for stealing beef in 1805. This may have driven the move to Bath.

I know William Lee (Dyer) senior died in Bath in 1848 aged 73 which puts his birthdate at approximately 1775. I have successfully traced Maria's lineage in Cornwall, but can't find a match to him in either county, though I suspect he has origins in Devon. 

Given the name change, would you suspect he was illegitimately born? I have searched Devon records on FindMyPast but nothing really stands out. I have checked DNA matches on Gedmatch with the surname Lee in Devon several of which do match with my husband, the highest at 29cM. We joined a Dyer surname project but his DNA doesn't match anyone there. He'd really like to know the true paternal lineage, Dyer or Lee!

Thanks in advance, any help much appreciated.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Lee alias Dyer and Maria Pulman
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 August 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
I know William Lee (Dyer) senior died in Bath in 1848

Where is he in 1841? 

The born in County Yes or No from that census will be a start  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 August 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
I found a widowed William DYER living with son James in 1841 in Bath - birthplace out of county.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 August 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. He is living in Bath with his son James Dyer and James's daughters in the 1841 census, both born out of county. James's unmarried daughter Emily was my link back to this family through the census due to her living with her aunt Jane Michell in Liskeard, Cornwall in 1871 and 1881 (Jane Lee, the one who didn't change to Dyer, married William Michell in 1839). I got lucky there but William Lee still eludes me.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.