Author Topic: 1862 NSW Immigration Deposit Journals  (Read 1263 times)

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1862 NSW Immigration Deposit Journals
« on: Friday 18 August 17 01:44 BST (UK) »
I have found an entry in the 1862 NSW Immigration Deposit Journals relating to a person I am researching.  The "Depositor" in this case was the immigrant's married sister.

The "Description of the person or persons for whose benefit the remittance is made" had the following entries in two of the columns:

Proportion to be applied to Passage:   £3

Proportion to be applied to Outfit:    £1

What do these two amounts refer to and who were they paid by?  Would these amounts have been paid by the depositor, shipping agent, government,  . . .?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone could give.

Sharon

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1862 NSW Immigration Deposit Journals
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 August 17 05:02 BST (UK) »
I would read that as, the immigrant was being sponsored by her/his married sister, who paid towards their passage to Australia.
It clearly states (from what you have on the post) how much was to go to the cost of the voyage and how much to be given to the person for [suitable] clothing.

MAJM may have more specific advice for you?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 August 17 05:55 BST (UK) »
The NSW State Archives partnership with several commercial family history websites seems to include requiring them to provide some background  :) 

Ancestry has the following comments displaying re their uploaded images
About New South Wales, Australia, Immigration Deposit Journals, 1853-1900

This collection contains immigration deposit records from New South Wales between 1853-1900. These are records of money deposited in the Colony by people wanting to sponsor the immigration of someone, usually a family member or someone for specific employment. Part of the records also show reasons for refunds or a declined sponsorship. If the immigrant didn’t arrive the money would be refunded. One thing to remember when searching the records is the date of deposit and when the immigrant arrived can be separated by many months.

The information found in the immigration deposit journals includes:
•Name
•Number of deposit
•Date of deposit
•Country and place of origin
•Ship
•Date of immigration
•Nationality
•Amount paid toward cost of passage
•Sponsor name
•Reason for refund

NSW State Archives :
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/series/5264
included in that explanation "These volumes are particularly valuable for the period 1860-62 when the Board's Immigrant Lists are missing; and after 1870 when they no longer supply the place of origin within the county in Ireland.

Many months would usually pass between the deposit of the money and the arrival of the immigrant and researchers should keep this time lapse in mind when using these records"

Yes, Billyblue is spot on ... yes it was the Depositor (Sponsor) who paid over (deposited/sponsored) the £4 that you mention in your O.P.  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 August 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Dawn and JM.  What made me wonder was that the sponsor was working as a milkmaid on a farm and only earning about 5 shillings a week so managing to put aside 4 pounds to sponsor her sister must have been quite an achievement. As far as we know the two sisters never managed to meet up after arrival which seems strange.  The sister who arrived in 1862 seems to have "vanished".  We have found no marriage for her and no death under her maiden name in spite of searching under a number of possible surname variants.