Author Topic: Mystery: William Bowman NSW  (Read 11671 times)

Offline Tiani

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery: William Bowman NSW
« Reply #81 on: Friday 25 August 17 23:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you heaps majm!

You have helped so much!!!! I emailed the church yesterday, but have not heard back from them yet. But hopefully soon. ;D

That info you found about the two John Bowmans is interesting! Goodness, it would be nice to know which one was mine!!!!!! ??? ;) I'm sure it will all come out soon.

I will look into all the info you have given me, and I will post on here whatever I get back from the church, if they reply.  :)

Thank you again,
Tiani

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 26 August 17 01:32 BST (UK) »
 :)

Please don't expect an immediate answer giving the information from the original parish register.  It can take time for a volunteer to undertake the lookup  :) 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 26 August 17 05:25 BST (UK) »
Evans Plains …. BENDALL from Cambridge …. Some speculations to have at hand ‘just in case’ …

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/223580809 NSW Govt Gazette 6 Oct 1874

In the will of George BENDALL late of Evans Plains, near Bathurst, farmer …. Granted to Charlotte BENDALL… 

NSW BDM George BENDALL, parents as Edward and Sarah, death registered Bathurst #3829/1874

Possible: 

George (aged 25)  and Charlotte (29) BENDALL as husband and wife arriving per Castilian in 1858.  George as Ag Lab, from Cambridge, C of E, read and write,  Charlotte of Huntingdon, Church of England, read. 
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5316&item=4_4795&ship=Castilian
George’s parents recorded on immigration papers as Edward and Sarah LIVING at Bottisham. He has a sister in NSW, Mrs Taylor, Lachlan River. George recorded as born Bottisham.
Charlotte’s parents recorded as John & Charlotte PICKEN, LIVING at Cambridge. Charlotte recorded as born Broughton, Huntingdon. No relatives in NSW.   

Possible 1853 (July-Sept Qtr) marriage
George BENDALL and Charlotte    PICKEN   Cambridgeshire, GRO Vol 3b/725

1867 Walter Samson NSW National Directory
WEST MACQUARIE
G BENDALL, Mount Pleasant. 
W BOWMAN Richmond
W BOWMAN Mount Pleasant

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/223579978 NSW Govt Gazette 11 Sept 1874 … Public School Board appointments…
Evans Plains,  Mr George BENDALL.

Possible 1853 (July-Sept Qtr) marriage
George BENDALL and Charlotte    PICKEN   Cambridgeshire, GRO Vol 3b/725

George BENDALL was buried in the Bathurst Cemetery, aged 42 (transcription has it as 1871)
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=bendall&GSiman=1&GScid=2144816&GRid=49104733& 

George and Charlotte’s immigration papers do NOT show any children accompanying them, and I cannot find any NSW births for them either.   Mrs Taylor of Lachlan River … Taylor is one of the most popular surnames in NSW in that era.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 26 August 17 06:42 BST (UK) »
more speculations ...

From a SUBMITTED tree (re Mrs Taylor, sister to George Bendall)

Sarah BENDALL, sister of George BENDALL was born Bottisham 14 July 1830, and married 4 November 1852 to Charles TAYLOR.   Polly (Mary Ann Cubis TAYLOR) was born at Bottisham 17 July 1853 and Arthur Seaborn TAYLOR was born on the Washington Irving en route to Australia in 1857, but he did not survive the voyage.    Charlotte Taylor was born at Carcoar in 1859 ; George William Taylor was born 7 July 1861 at Evans Plains, Bathurst; Charles Arthur Taylor born 1863 at Evans Plains; Sarah E Taylor born 1866, Bathurst; Edith Osborne Taylor born 1872 Orange and Maud Mary Taylor born 1876 Orange.

Sarah’s husband died 2 May 1888 at Petersham, and Sarah died Petersham 12 May 1910.   

From my armchair searching online :

Here’s the Washington Irving passenger list for September 1857.  Page 10 shows 1 male death on the voyage.  Remembering that among the single females on this same voyage is a Rebecca BENDALL aged 23, of Fulbourne, Cams,  parents as Charles & Susan (mother at Fulbourne, father dead) C of E, can Read,  and a sister Eliza BENDALL per ‘Vocalist’  and there’s no mention in that paperwork of any connection between the passengers Sarah Taylor nee Bendall and Rebecca Bendall. http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5316&item=4_4794&ship=Washington%20Irving 

Immigration papers show the TAYLOR family,  (mis-transcribed as Paylor) including Sarah aged 27, wife, born Bottisham, Cambridge, parents as Edward & Sarah (living, but surname not on these papers) at Bottisham, C of E, read and write, no relatives in the colony.   

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Saturday 26 August 17 06:50 BST (UK) »
Just adding a little to JM's research and as said, in case it is of use in further searchings.

One of the sisters of George BENDALL was Sarah BENDALL born in 1830 at Bottisham, Cambridge .
https://www.familysearch.org/

She married
Marriages Dec 1852   

BENDALLSarah       
TAYLOR Charles Wilden
3b 1175 Newmarket

Here is a In Memoriam for his death in NSW.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13685249

So this would be the Mrs TAYLOR, relation of George per his immigration record.

Sue

ADDING
Charles W and Sarah TAYLOR arrived with a 3 year old daughter in Sept 1857 per Washington Irving. He was a farm lab. No relatives in the colony.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 28 August 17 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just a thought a  William Bowman died 1910/ no 2622  Nyngan  NSW  age 76
 William was alive 1875  he gave permission for the marriage of his daughter Sarah

Muss

Offline Tiani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 28 August 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all that info! wow. I will look into everything as soon as I am well. I'm really unwell at the moment.

Kind Regards,
Tiana

Offline jryan45

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 08 January 18 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just come across this site and was browsing through your posts. A couple of interesting points, I am the niece of Mildred Sollars and Dick Bowman Narromine NSW.  I only ever knew him as "Dick", everyone called him Dick.  He was a wonderful uncle and I loved him dearly, as I did Aunty Millie.  Grandfather William George Sollars, known as George, arrived 1911  as stated in your information.  He worked on the railway at Junee NSW and when Annie, Mildred and Ivy arrived in Sydney, the family were advised to move to a warmer climate on account of Millies health, so they moved to Narromine.  Aunty Millie did say they were booked to sail on the "Titanic" but due to Annie and Ivys mother falling ill just prior to sailing, their trip was postponed until 1912. Sadly their mother passed away.

I do recall Uncle Dick had a sister, Thelma, who married a Reagan, they often visited Uncle Dick and Aunty Millie.  The name Haliday was also associated with Uncle Dick, but I can't remember in what capacity.

Not sure if this helps or not, but best of luck.  Cheers Joy

Offline Keith Penfold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Try the museum@orange.nsw.gov.u
They maintain all of the Historical records for the area you are looking for also search the telephone register for Wellington NSW Australia