Author Topic: Craddock-Lightfoot marriage Clapham 1803  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Craddock-Lightfoot marriage Clapham 1803
« on: Monday 21 August 17 14:02 BST (UK) »
Dear all,
I was hoping someone could help me find the origins of Thomas Craddock who marries Ann(e) Lightfoot in Clapham on 11 April 1803? I know who the parents (and siblings) are of Ann(e) Lightfoot, who was baptised in Clapham in 1782, but I have no idea who this Thomas Craddock is. And since I have a whole bunch of Craddocks from Bedfordshire/Northamptonshire in my family tree, wouldn't it be great to see if I can find his family somewhere too?
So if anyone can help me with the parents and/or baptism (date/location) of Thomas Craddock, I'd be very grateful!
Thank you very much in advance!
Regards, Lexi.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Craddock-Lightfoot marriage Clapham 1803
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 August 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
1851 Census has a possible Thomas Craddock age 71, Ag Lab, Widr, Pauper, born c 1780 Clapham.
He is in the Bedford Union Workhouse.

This may be them 1841 in Clapham;
Thomas Cradorp, 55, Ag Lab
Ann Cradorp, 55
Levi Cradorp, 20

I cant find a Baptism but someone else may have records c 1780 for Thomas.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
There's a baptism of a Thomas Craddock at nearby Oakley on 15 Feb 1784, son of John & Elizabeth Craddock. It could be him ?

Thomas Craddock died in the Union Workhouse on 31 May 1851, age 71, he was buried at Clapham, on 3rd June, paid for by his relations.  Wife Anne buried Clapham in 1842
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 13:14 BST (UK) »
Seems to me that the census and burial info is right, so perhaps investigation will lead me to proof of a correct baptism. Oakley sounds pretty legit though, will look into that. I'm going to see if there is mention of his home town on the marriage to Anne, that might help too.

Thanks so far, guys!

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
From the Clapham PR transcript, the marriage on 11 Apr 1803 has no specific parish assigned to Thomas Cradock. Interestingly on that same day at Clapham, James Denton of St.Peters, Bedford married Susan Cradock. She may well have been Thomas's sister as James & Elizabeth Craddock baptised daughter Susan at Oakley on 25 Aug 1776.

John Cradock married Elizabeth Midleton on 18 May 1769 at Oakley and baptised 7 children there between 1769 & 1784. A John Cradock of Clapham was buried at Oakley on 1 Oct 1801
Clement - Croydon

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
From the Clapham PR transcript, the marriage on 11 Apr 1803 has no specific parish assigned to Thomas Cradock. Interestingly on that same day at Clapham, James Denton of St.Peters, Bedford married Susan Cradock. She may well have been Thomas's sister as James & Elizabeth Craddock baptised daughter Susan at Oakley on 25 Aug 1776.

John Cradock married Elizabeth Midleton on 18 May 1769 at Oakley and baptised 7 children there between 1769 & 1784. A John Cradock of Clapham was buried at Oakley on 1 Oct 1801

Ah, that double marriage iin 1803 might indeed be a clue! And there seems to have been a lot of toing and froing between Clapham and Oakley, so born in one place and died in the other, or married or vice versa, does come across as being quite convincing.

Any idea, by the way, who the parents of John Craddock, the father of Thomas, were?

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 20:48 BST (UK) »
Oh and another question, based on the assumption that the two Thomases were the same:
The censuses give Thomas Craddock an older date of birth (1780) than this possible baptism does (1784), but would there be a chance that he was born a few years before his baptism? His siblings were born about every two years and then suddenly between Thomas and the sibling above him there's six years? Could he indeed have been born in 1780 but not baptised until he was three or four?

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 09:21 BST (UK) »
Any idea, by the way, who the parents of John Craddock, the father of Thomas, were?

Both Clapham & Oakley PR transcripts (up to 1812) are in the attached volume 16.....
Have fun investigating...

https://archive.org/stream/bedfordshirepari16bedf#page/n5/mode/2up
Clement - Croydon

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 10:12 BST (UK) »

Both Clapham & Oakley PR transcripts (up to 1812) are in the attached volume 16.....
Have fun investigating...

https://archive.org/stream/bedfordshirepari16bedf#page/n5/mode/2up

Gooooddiiieeeee!   :D