Author Topic: Differing details on the same certificate?  (Read 2355 times)

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Differing details on the same certificate?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
How long is the gap between the date of birth and the date of registration ?

On a birth register the mother's name is recorded as the name she used or was known by at the time of the birth, the informant column shows how the informant signed their name on the date of registration. So if someone has changed their name (through marriage or otherwise) between the two events, or signs their name differently to the name they use the two can differ.

The fact that both mother and father sign as informants shows that they attended together and were not claiming to be married at the time.

Is there any suggestion this is actually a re-registration ?

A couple of other points:

There is no such thing as an "original certificate" - all certificates are copies of information held in the register - but errors can and do creep in occasionally  when the returns are sent to GRO. This doesn't sound like that though.

I'm not sure why Rootschat won't allow certificate images  to be posted when GRO make it very clear that they are not copyright and can be freely shared - but you can send me a copy by PM if you want me to look more closely at it.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony

Rootschat is privately owned and has its own rules regarding copyright and what the owners will and will not allow to be posted in the public domain.

There is a Crown Copyright icon on the bottom of certificates supplied by the GRO and local register offices.

Generally, small snippets only of documents and images are allowed for deciphering purposes.

Added to that, in this case, we are dealing with living and/or potentially living people.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
Isn't it normally the maiden name of the mother that appears on a birth certificate? My reading of this would be that Southern was the ladies birth name but she was now known as Thurston ( possibly through marriage).
Am I right in thinking that Veronica was the mother of both children, but is only down as Southern on the other birth certificate (Nottingham 1965)?
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
Dawn

Totally agree re potentially living people (which is covered by the DPA), however the Crown Copyright on certificates only applies to the layout of the form. GRO published a guidance document (in May 2014 in conjunction with TNA) that makes it very clear that certificates themselves are not copyright and can be freely shared/published and "may include publishing in a book or magazine, or placing a copy on the internet".

But - happy to comply with Rootschat own rules !

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 13:44 BST (UK) »
Would someone trying to hide their identity really opt for such a lengthy name i.e. "Veronica Barbara Anne SOUTHERN" as it would seem very difficult to remember  ???

I would have thought a simplified one forename & surname would be a whole lot easier to remember?

Is it possible she has jiggled the names around maybe i.e. born Barbara or Anne with the rest as middle names?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
Who is it that doesn't actually exist (or you think was made up)  ???  Is it the informant name?

If you were called plain Mary Smith then you might make up an elaborate alias of names but would be a bit obvious. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
It is all a mystery anyway as this person doesn't seem to exist and lists address as a home for unmarried mothers and babies in London, she wasn't around much longer after the two births

Have you investigated whether or not it's possible to get copies of records from that home for unmarried mothers in London? They might hold some clues, if they still exist, and if you can access them.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline David Pinkney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
I've used my imagination, so if she was a "working girl" you would think she would have been known to the police and may have been in custody a few times.

What about criminal registers or police gazettes or newspapers looking for the name as either a legitimate name or an aka.

Ok I haven't tried that avenue I will look

Offline David Pinkney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
It is all a mystery anyway as this person doesn't seem to exist and lists address as a home for unmarried mothers and babies in London, she wasn't around much longer after the two births

Have you investigated whether or not it's possible to get copies of records from that home for unmarried mothers in London? They might hold some clues, if they still exist, and if you can access them.

Regards,
Josephine

I have now posted on a Facebook group for people who were at the home or knew people there see what comes up