Author Topic: Thomas and Joseph Hamilton - Martray  (Read 2037 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Joseph Hamilton - Martray
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 March 20 09:17 BST (UK) »
The Mervyn mentioned was Capt Mervyn Stewart of Martray, Ballygawley, Co Tyrone.

OK, thanks.  Was hoping he was the one who went N.Z.

Will leave it at that, so as not to mess up your thread!

Stay safe.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 March 20 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark

Thanks for the suggestion...  You never know which ones will be that elusive clue.
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 March 20 19:02 BST (UK) »

You're fine.... it's something on wjhamilton's site posted and I'd be going off at a tangent... a non-Hamilton one!

Offline wjhamilton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 March 20 06:55 BST (UK) »
Does a sally Hamilton ring a bell? Tyrone Constitution 12 September 1902. i tried to attach the page  but it was too big. Is there another way to connect?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 March 20 07:13 BST (UK) »

What did she do then?

Marry?
Die?

....or win Lottery?  ;D

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 March 20 07:50 BST (UK) »
Would anyone have access to the British Newspapers? Looking for the rest of these articles referring to Hamiltons of Martray.

Thomas Hamilton:
Tyrone Courier, Thursday 19 July 1900, Page 7/8
... Trusted Servant. On Sunday the remains of Thomas Hamilton, old and trusted servant, were buried in the Protestant graveyard. The funeral was largely attended. For number years (deceased) was employed at Martray by Captain Stewart (deceased) and was always ...
What graveyard would this be, Ballygawley or Ballyreagh Pres? Some of my Ballygawley relatives were buried in Ballygawley Graveyard.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 March 20 08:31 BST (UK) »

Would you have researched the Hamiltons?

LINK  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01p92/ to all Civil Reg Birth, Marriage and Death results for Hamilton of Clogher Reg District.

Not quite as many as I expected!

This is something you would be best doing yourself rather than me posting 'bits'... it will get you great knowledge about all of them!

you can click Marriages and see Whom  married Whom, Where, When and also Witnesses!

e.g. 27 Marriages... one can Right click on 5 or 6, open them in New Tab, click Image to view Cert

Irish Govt BDM Website, safe, free.

Solve Captcha, use initials to sign in.

you have Births/Deaths starting 1864...so can find siblings, mother's maiden names are on Certs!

9 in 1860's, 11 in 1870's etc.

One can return as needed in the future to check anything they want as one has all the records and knows how to move around within them.

One can change Surname if needed and have the ability to look for someone etc without having to post and wait for reply.

Registration District : Clogher  https://www.swilson.info/regdistmap.php?gregdistid=46 with neighbouring Districts numbered with Link to each

Plenty to occupy one during Lockdown!  ;D

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 March 20 08:42 BST (UK) »

You now have Sarah, sister...alive 1900

so Death very easy to find.

Click Deaths plus 1900 folder!

Even if someone posts it for you.....try finding it for yourself to see how easy things can be found.

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 March 20 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark

Thank you for the suggestions.

Yes, I have scoured those records and tracked ALL of the Hamiltons from the area. I am trying to determine more about their relationships which is why I was asking about the newspaper articles.

Any additional information will help....

P.S. I originally purchased transcripts of so many BMDs. I was thrilled when the digital images became available. I've spend endless hours pouring through them.

Oops, my original lengthy post with the attachments got deleted. I will leave them anyway. It is very late here...

ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England