Author Topic: Thomas and Joseph Hamilton - Martray  (Read 1592 times)

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas and Joseph Hamilton - Martray
« on: Thursday 24 August 17 06:06 BST (UK) »
Would anyone have access to the British Newspapers? Looking for the rest of these articles referring to Hamiltons of Martray.

Thomas Hamilton:
Tyrone Courier, Thursday 19 July 1900, Page 7/8
... Trusted Servant. On Sunday the remains of Thomas Hamilton, old and trusted servant, were buried in the Protestant graveyard. The funeral was largely attended. For number years (deceased) was employed at Martray by Captain Stewart (deceased) and was always ...
What graveyard would this be, Ballygawley or Ballyreagh Pres? Some of my Ballygawley relatives were buried in Ballygawley Graveyard.

And Joseph Hamilton:
Tyrone Courier, Thursday 06 August 1908, Page 5
... Ewing, Miss C. Stinson, and Miss E. Brownlee was well patronised during the afternoon. Miss Hamilton, the daughter of Mr. Joseph Hamilton, The Cottage, Martray, is now home holiday, obtained her course of scholarship, first at the hands of a local teacher ...

And Amy Hamilton (possibly Joseph's daughter?):
...Nash played the accompaniments, the piano the various songs during the night. programme was brought close by Mis Amy Hamilton. Martray, rendering several selections the granmplione. The Chairman thanked the audience the Kind attention that they had paid ...

Thank you!!!

ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline wjhamilton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Joseph Hamilton - Martray
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 March 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this helps or ties in any where? Here is a link for my great great grandfather John Hamilton, who emigrated to New Zealand. Him and his sister worked for captain Mervyn Stewert.
http://tauranga.kete.net.nz/katikati_history/topics/show/1030-john-hamilton-1835-1892
I am interested because i get back to ireland then the trail goes cold

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 March 20 18:09 GMT (UK) »
I think he would most definitely tie in with Thomas and Joseph! I am just not certain how.

I have researched John Hamilton (1835-1892) in New Zealand because I've always suspected he ties in with my ancestor, David Hamilton (1797-1867), whose 5 out of 6 children emigrated to Australia in mid 1800s.

Have you done your Ancestry DNA? If not, please do! That would help a lot.
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 March 20 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this helps or ties in any where? Here is a link for my great great grandfather John Hamilton, who emigrated to New Zealand. Him and his sister worked for captain Mervyn Stewert.
http://tauranga.kete.net.nz/katikati_history/topics/show/1030-john-hamilton-1835-1892
I am interested because i get back to ireland then the trail goes cold

I am thinking outside the box...BUT could yout Hamiltons be relatives of the Hamiltons who married Stewarts??

could they have got work with Mervyn via 'family connections/recommendations'

Is there a Passenger list for George Vesey Stewart and his first party of Katikati settlers on board the 'Carisbrooke Castle' in June 1875 please?  Would be very interested to see list of Passengers.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline wjhamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 March 20 20:37 GMT (UK) »
i have done the my heritage dna test.
here's a link for the Carisbrooke castle https://www.sooty.nz/carisbrook.html
this one has Margaret https://www.sooty.nz/LADEY-JOCELYNFrame1Source1.html
this one is a bit hard to read but scroll down to the ocean mail married and its the 8 line down
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/DSC18751124.2.4.1?query=william

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 March 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
I think it is possible but I don't know. I've been trying to figure out for MANY years what line of Hamiltons we belong to.

I had a relative do a YDN test through FamilyTreeDNA. Hoping other male descendants will do so as well! However, it has to be an unbroken male line which limits the possible DNA testers! So far he matches with several Hamiltons in USA but don't know the shared ancestor. Farther back than my paper trail.

NOTE: If you make one more post we should be able to private message each other.

I always suggest someone test with Ancestry DNA then upload the results to MyHeritage and FamilyTree DNA. You cannot import into Ancestry DNA which has the largest database.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 March 20 21:24 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for list...

THE REV DR HUGH STEWART (1711-1800), of Athenree, County Tyrone, Rector of Termon, wedded Sarah, daughter of the Rev Dr Andrew Hamilton and had issue,

JOHN, his heir; Sir John espoused Mary, daughter of Mervyn Archdale, of Castle Archdale, and had issue,

HUGH, his successor;
    Mervyn;   who I think is 'N.Z. Mervyn' ...

Or am I completely off the mark??

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 March 20 02:12 BST (UK) »
The Mervyn mentioned was Capt Mervyn Stewart of Martray, Ballygawley, Co Tyrone.

Offline wjhamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 March 20 03:08 BST (UK) »
I will look into the ancestry dna. So the author of that Tauranga site Debbie McCauley. Has a book called "the McCauley Family Katikati New Zealand 1876-2012. In there on page 189 is a letter too Freda Butcher From Rev C. Brett Ingram

Dear Miss Butcher,
I asked the Tauranga Historical Society about the family of John Hamilton who went from Ballygawley to Katikati in 1875. Secretary G.C Russsie gave me your name and address. Yout name sounds familiar - even if I am a vegetarian! I think I had some correspondence with you about ten years ago, but i can't recollect the nature of your enquiry then.  Since then I have become more interested in the Hamilton's of Martray - one mile east of Ballygawley village.  There was a famous Hamilton family at Martray in 1600 - long before the father of Vesey Stewart moved in there about 1822.  I am trying to discover whether the John Hamilton who went to N.Z. in 1875 was a descendant of the 1600 Family.  Are there many of the Hamiltons in N. Zealand today?  The Martray Hamiltons of 1875 certainly have descendants still living in the village. with the new cheap air fares I hope you can all mount a visit to the original house of Vesey Stewart.  It is now owned by Alan Glass, a Presbyterian farmer who lives in that big house all alone.  Martray is fairy-like, set in woods on the side of an alpine-looking lake near the roundabout where the Belfast Enniskillen and Newry-Londonderry highways intersect, making it the crossroads in Ulster.  Ulster is slightly quieter.  For some years some people were attacking us.  They said the wanted us to withdraw from the United Kingdom of England, Ulster, Scotland, Wales. But they didn't tell us why we should.  So the Ulster people decided to stay in the U.K. where they have been since 1st January 1801. Sincerely Brettt Ingram.

And a note below that letter;
Revd-Brett Ingram died in 1987.  It would seem he was a bit of an historian who took great interest in local history in his time.  Most of the people seem to be born in Clougher which is a different Diocese. The Parish has been vacant for the past two years now and there is no sign of a new Rector. I am looking after the Parish, but do not have a lot of information and no access to Revd Brett Ingram's writings. (rev. Robert Boyd, Rural Dean, Personal communication, 17 November 2011)